Kvass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palecricket1

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a batch of kvass, and I have wheat flour that already contains malted barley flour in it. My question is this: since there is malt in this, if I were to mash this like I would regular grain (taking into account the fact that this is exponentially finer than grain), would I get a sufficient conversion of starch into sugar that I would not have to add sugar to the kvass?

No, to all of the above. Kvass is made from stale rye bread. It is , like root beer, non-alcoholic. It tastes like rye bread. Typically, they put one raisin in each bottle.

I bought some in a European deli, I like it, but I like rye bread. Rye beer has a spiciness, but does not tase like rye bread. I've made 12 batchs of rye beer, but no kvass.

You can find recipes for Kvass on the net. Basically, boil rye bread to kill the yeast, strain, and force carbonate so as to prevent bottle bombs.

casebrew said:
No, to all of the above. Kvass is made from stale rye bread. It is , like root beer, non-alcoholic. It tastes like rye bread. Typically, they put one raisin in each bottle.

All the kvass I've ever had was definitely alcoholic. :drunk: Tastes like soggy bread, though. Blech!

I disagree. I've seen many recipes involving flour, albeit not solely flour. Example: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6670/reckvas.htm
http://www.russiansabroad.com/cuisine/Recipes.asp?TemaID=5&TopicID=164
Wikipedia says it's made from any vegetal product. Kvass is a pretty generic Russian term which applies to pretty much any low alcohol fermented beverage. From what I understand, most traditional recipes use malted rye, rye rusks, or rye bread, or whatever other rye product is available, and it is not limited exclusively to bread. So the way I see it, malted rye flour should be nothing more than a finely powdered form of rye malt, right?

Back