Walker angers temperance union by serving beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rod up that woman's a$$ has a rod up it...

Women's Christian Temperance Union, sounds like a great mob...

Boy,those women just don'y get it. That temperance/prohibition crap didn't wash the first time,so why are they still pushing it? Second times a charm? Or maybe third? If they want to abstain,fine. But don't force me to live by your rules. You have no right & it always stirs up trouble.
Hey,here's a thought...how bout teaching your kids something about responsible drinking so they don't grow as rolling cookie cutters??! I guess misery will always seek company. I guess they have to make their failed & usless lives have more meaning...?

You'd think so,yeah. Maybe over all these decades,it's just the quest & not the ideals behind it. Like they just got so lost in how can we? that they haven't thought about why should we?...

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Purported to be by Abe Lincoln (but probably not).

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Purported to be by Abe Lincoln (but probably not).

Actually,it's quite possible to be his quote. The temperance league was fighting for prohibition since something like 1840-ish. But they fouind that beer/alcohol wasn't the problem. The bars were "tied houses" tied to a particular brewer,the owner isn't making much money,so he has ho's & gambling to make up the difference. The solution was to make it illeagal for the brewers to own the bars & deliver their own product. Seems to me the ABV% was lowered as well.

The article's comments are particularly entertaining (as usual):

"Walker angers temperance union by serving beer. In other news, anthropoligists have discovered a temperance union."

lol...the president of WCTU is named Wert...anybody find this ironic?

Well, maybe not, since wort is non alcoholic

What I find more insulting is that the AP feels their readers are so stupid they had to print this sentence:

"The cookout menu features brats, a local sausage whose name is pronounced "brahts," "

Duha,duha,duha...smack! "breath stupid!"...duuuh,oh yeah,George,I forgot! I think that about covers it. But,like the country song says,God is great,beer is good...& people are crazy!

You'd think so,yeah. Maybe over all these decades,it's just the quest & not the ideals behind it. Like they just got so lost in how can we? that they haven't thought about why should we?...
Unionrdr;
You have A good point. Oftentimes it is the quest and not the goal.
Susie

What I find more insulting is that the AP feels their readers are so stupid they had to print this sentence:

"The cookout menu features brats, a local sausage whose name is pronounced "brahts," "

And here, all this time, I thought people in Wisconsin were eating their own badly behaved children.

(not really)

The cookout thing is legitimate. I saw it in the local paper this morning. I actually thought the WCTU had died out a long time ago, but apparently not. The lady's response was hilarious. She says "I don't think it's cool at all." Seriously. You're the leader of a 5000 member group that is struggling for recognition and that's the best quote you can give.

As an aside, I just love that people outside Midwest seem to need to have the word brat defined for them. Pronounced "brahts."

Yup. It's very likely the principle of the thing for them more than the facts. It just doesn't work,but those that don't do a thing wanna harp on the ones that do so they can at least feel superior to somebody. If they really wanna help America go after the group that's really ruining it for everybody. Beer is just a social lubricant for folks that might not otherwise speak to one another. Seems like a good thing to me...

So, I'm guessing that temperance unions are kind of like Westboro Baptist Church - every once in a while they rear their heads to make an outlandish statement that gets picked up by bored reporters and spun into a controversy that provides fodder for pundits to yak about in lieu of real news stories.

As an aside, I just love that people outside Midwest seem to need to have the word brat defined for them. Pronounced "brahts."

You know, growing up in California I have never met anyone who hadn't heard of and didn't know how to pronounce brats. I think the AP just doesn't think too highly of their readers.

So, I'm guessing that temperance unions are kind of like Westboro Baptist Church - every once in a while they rear their heads to make an outlandish statement that gets picked up by bored reporters and spun into a controversy that provides fodder for pundits to yak about in lieu of real news stories.

That's not really a fair comparison. I'd guess most members of the WCTU have had their lives touched by alcohol abuse in some awful way (family alcoholics, DUI accidents, etc) while the Westboro people are just morons.

I think the AP reporter was just fishing for a story here, and probably called the WCTU out of the blue for a quote. It doesn't say anything about them releasing a statement or making a formal complaint, there is nothing about it on their website, and the quotes sound totally off-the-cuff. There's no story here, the reporter just needed to file something beyond the entomology of the word "bratwurst."

Thats what happens a lot of the time when you hear those weird statements from PETA -- reporters go looking for them to get a quote. PETA didn't really care that time Obama swatted a fly before a TV interview, but when reporters call them up looking for a quote, what is the press person there going to say, "we don't really care"?

That's not really a fair comparison. I'd guess most members of the WCTU have had their lives touched by alcohol abuse in some awful way (family alcoholics, DUI accidents, etc) while the Westboro people are just morons.

I think the AP reporter was just fishing for a story here, and probably called the WCTU out of the blue for a quote. It doesn't say anything about them releasing a statement or making a formal complaint, there is nothing about it on their website, and the quotes sound totally off-the-cuff. There's no story here, the reporter just needed to file something beyond the eytomology of the word "bratwurst."

Thats what happens a lot of the time when you hear those weird statements from PETA -- reporters go looking for them to get a quote. PETA didn't really care that time Obama swatted a fly before a TV interview, but when reporters call them up looking for a quote, what is the press person there going to say, "we don't really care"?

What matters is that they got the results they wanted regardless. A good time that might've went some distance in bring the two parties together ruin by some PITA group that's severely out dated. Get a friggin life already. Probably a bunch of femasles that aren't gwettin any...

It's a good thing they indicated brats are sausages because for a second there, I thought they were planning to eat unruly children with their beer.

Reading that quote, I'm picturing Rev. Lovejoy's wife: "Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!?"

...I'd guess most members of the WCTU have had their lives touched by alcohol abuse in some awful way (family alcoholics, DUI accidents, etc)...

I think the AP reporter was just fishing for a story here...the quotes sound totally off-the-cuff...

Good insight, I'd really like to give these ladies the benefit of the doubt.

Entertaining story, nonetheless. I didn't even catch the brat part the first time I skimmed it...that's the best part of the whole article!

You know, growing up in California I have never met anyone who hadn't heard of and didn't know how to pronounce brats. I think the AP just doesn't think too highly of their readers.

You'd be surprised. I lived in the South in a few different places over the years, and people would look at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I mentioned brats. Although, I would agree the AP probably is fairly clueless as well.

Back