Coconut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So my next Brew I am planning on a Coconut Brown Ale. This is my second extract batch I am planning on using AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale (10C). I'm thinking this would complement the coconut nicely. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Also when should I add the roasted coconut? Should I add it to the boil ant at what point or should I add it after fermentation? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Toast about 1 - 1.5 lbs of UNSWEETENED, flaked coconut in the oven until golden brown (keep a close eye on it, it can go fast). I had to rake it around a few times on the cookie sheet. Allow to cool, add to secondary for about 10-14 days. Rack and bottle/keg. I actually racked a couple times before kegging, as I kept sucking up coconut flakes. It's messy but nothing a good soak in Oxiclean or Staight-A cant handle. Have fun!

I'm curious to hear what people have to say about this. My wife loves coconut, so I'm sure a recipe that includes it is in our future. I was thinking a porter would be a good fit. I think the heavier mouthfeel and roast/chocolate flavors would work well with the coconut.

Toast about 1 - 1.5 lbs of UNSWEETENED, flaked coconut in the oven until golden brown (keep a close eye on it, it can go fast). I had to rake it around a few times on the cookie sheet. Allow to cool, add to secondary for about 10-14 days. Rack and bottle/keg. I actually racked a couple times before kegging, as I kept sucking up coconut flakes. It's messy but nothing a good soak in Oxiclean or Staight-A cant handle. Have fun!

I did this same thing with a porter once and turned out great.
The only thing I noticed is that the coconut soaked up a good amount of beer in secondary. I plan on doing it again, but next time I am going to put the coconut in a bag and "dryhop" it in the keg

+1 on bagging coconut. Did toasted coconut with mango for a tropical poolside brew and it was great. Easy to rack off with it in a bag. Good luck!

yeah I plan on bagging but since only have 1 fermenter I will let it ferment for 2 weeks then put the coconut in for 2 weeks. I just hope that isnt to long and the coconut will be to strong of a flavor

I do a coconut porter as well that is a big hit with me and everyone else who has tried it. on toasting, I actually like to split the flakes in half on two cookie sheets and toast one to a darker caramel color. I have noticed that this imparts a stronger coconut flavor to the beer. I also do a slightly larger batch since the coconut does soak up allot of the beer in the secondary.

well, I dont think it soaked up quite a half gallon but between what it soaks up and what liquid it blocks you from being able to siphon out, you are getting pretty close. Last time I just upped my total volume to 5.25 gallons and everything turned fine.

Ok sounds good. I plan on using a bag to put the coconut in. When I place the bag in do I need to suspend it somehow or do I just throw it in. Also when I put it in will the fermentation start again

Personally I would not use a bag in the secondary. You're going to have a hard time getting it out after all that coconut expands.

No, it shouldn't re-ferment. Make sure you use unsweetened coconut.

I'm not using a secondary I am using my primary. Also I was planning on using fresh Coconut that I am going to toast

Depends on your vessel. Won't be able to get it out of a carboy. Plastic bucket is easy. I use a keg as a secondary and used a bag. I got a good sized second fermentation but I think that was due to the fresh mango that also went in.

Im going to put shreaded toasted coconut in a bag and have it hang in my keg.
Last time I just put in secondary and it soaked up alot of beer and was very hard to get out after I racked the beer off it.
Suspending it in the keg should work better

I'm going to brew this up this weekend, I can't wait. I am a little apprehensive about the coconut but I am willing to give it a try. Hopefully it will turn out how I want it. If not then I will still have beer and I will still drink it

I brewed a brown a week ago today that I plan to do this with. Will also let people know how it turns out.

I actually have an idea to do something to boost the coconut flavor in addition to just the bag o' toasted coconut. I won't mention it 'till we see how it turns out...

Edit: Aw geez, yeah, I use a carboy, so I better not put it in a bag. hahaha...

Almost sorry you are going to use that secret ingredient. I did the same thing, and it turned out awesome, but at 750ml, I am not sure if I'm tasting that, or the actual toasted coconut.

Okay, well the "secret ingredient" I am planning to use is that after I toast the coconut, I am going to simmer it for a few minutes in coconut water and then dump in the whole slurry, which should a) give me peace of mind about sanitation, and b) hopefully bump up the coconut flavor a bit. It was my wife's idea. We shall see how it goes...

Almost sorry you are going to use that secret ingredient. I did the same thing, and it turned out awesome, but at 750ml, I am not sure if I'm tasting that, or the actual toasted coconut.
I'm assuming you used something like Malibu or similar coconut rum. I'm surprised you didn't get much flavor out of it. I've heard of people adding coconut rum with excellent results in the past. Sorry to hear it didnt work that great for you.

Okay, well the "secret ingredient" I am planning to use is that after I toast the coconut, I am going to simmer it for a few minutes in coconut water and then dump in the whole slurry, which should a) give me peace of mind about sanitation, and b) hopefully bump up the coconut flavor a bit. It was my wife's idea. We shall see how it goes...
Cool idea! Please do let us know how it turns out :mug:

Exact opposite! I used 750 ml of coconut rum and I LOVE this beer! I just meant I think the actual coconut may get lost.

The coconut water is a neat idea. Didn't think of that.

sfrisby said:
Exact opposite! I used 750 ml of coconut rum and I LOVE this beer! I just meant I think the actual coconut may get lost.

The coconut water is a neat idea. Didn't think of that.

Just reread your previous post. Don't know what I was tbinking when I replied.

The oils from the coconut can make it's way into the beer so that may be a reason to wait till after. I think cold crashing is typically done in the low to mid 30's.

I recently did a coconut porter that was awesome.

I used about 1.5lbs of unsweetened flaked coconut toasted in two batched on a cookie sheets. I put those in two bags and secondaried in the cornie. Pulled the bags out after a week. It was a bit strong on the coconut flavor at first but after three weeks it tasted great. Will make it again for sure....

I recently did a coconut porter that was awesome.

I used about 1.5lbs of unsweetened flaked coconut toasted in two batched on a cookie sheets. I put those in two bags and secondaried in the cornie. Pulled the bags out after a week. It was a bit strong on the coconut flavor at first but after three weeks it tasted great. Will make it again for sure....

This is the ideal way to do it! :mug:

So I'm going to bottle this Saturday. The Coconut will have been sitting for 2 weeks. I can't wait. I had to use Whole Coconuts that I took apart because for the life of me I couldn't find any unsweetened Coconut. I will keep yall updated after I bottle and condition

well just got finished bottling. pulled a sample to take my reading and to taste. Hugely disappointed. not a hint of Coconut flavor and the sample tasted like lighter fluid.

I have a feeling the flavor was lost due to using big chunks of raw coconut rather then using flaked.

I have no clue about the lighter fluid taste. I will wait till it's bottle conditioned to make my final prediction.

I have a feeling the coconut will never come up to taste but hopefully the beer will be drinkable in the end

Also try adding some Coconut Sugar, it adds another coconut dimension that's really nice in a Brown Ale or Porter. Mother's Market has some for like $4 for 12 oz.

well got home yesterday and threw a few in the fridge, cracked it open, poured it in an ice cold mug, took a nice slow pull, and almost spit it out. No coconut flavor at all and it tastes like metal very flustered. I am going to let it sit in the bottle for a few more weeks and see if it improves at all if not then I will be drinking metal tasting crap all by myself and have to make a Costco run whenever my buddies come over. Oh well luck of the draw. Time to start thinking of a new batch

Interesting. Just added nearly 2 pounds of freshly toasted coconut to my tropical stout right before reading this. The blend of smells as I dumped it in was just amazing...

In a while, I'll be racking it to a used rum barrel I recently got, to pick up some of those flavors as well.

Bass, I'm sorry to hear that. You could always add some coconut rum while you're going from bottle to glass to get some more coconut flavor. And, with enough rum, you won't even notice the metallic taste.

Emjay, that just sounds incredible.

Back