Apfelwein Clearing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
Sorry for the cross-post peeps I tried posting in the thread but it is too big and people are just posting questions that will get no return so I will try again

Well As you know I started my first batch of Apfelwein on the last day of April and it is bubbling like mad. However My question is.

I looked high and low for the perfect applejuice, everything I found had all the bad stuff in it. However I did find and decided to use a brand from Presidents Choice. This is an organic Apple juice it is 100% pure, also is 100% unfiltered. I also was going to get the montrachet wine yeast and it was suggested I use the Rudsheimer from Wyeast

I guess my question is should I leave it unfiltered. or use a wine filter machine to filter and make it clear?

Or if you're really in a rush (and you can fit your carboy into it) stick it in the fridge for a week or so. This will settle any yeast that are floating around and should do the same for the other sediment. If it's still cloudy then it might be a pectin issue, and might be cleared with pectic enzyme or simply drank cloudy. Its not going to hurt ya ;)

mike

I am not in a rush at all i have given the fermentation about 5 weeks ( or until the end of May) I know the Organic apple juice was cloudy when I bought it. however

Would you like me to post pics of it's process?

Most wines clear anyway- and even cloudy apple juice has cleared for me, without finings. No matter what, you shouldn't have to filter. If it's still cloudy after a month, you can add some sparkeloid and it'll clear right up. The only time I needed to use finings was for dandelion wine, though. Apple cider and juice do seem to clear just fine.

What I did is after mine fermented for a month I Xferred it to a carboy and let it sit down in the basement where it is usually about 58 F - 62 F for about 1 week to 10 days. I then transferred it back into my bottling bucket. then Primed it. I am very pleased in how it turned out. I will post a pic at the results.

Mine I used Organic Applejuice

Here is a pic This was bottled on Sunday June 3

apfelwein.JPG

I had the same problem. I put my carboy in the refrigerator and it actualy got worse, though it's probably cause it got shook up in the process of moving it there. I ended up puting in a clearing solution and it cleared right up.

Um...

I went to the homebrew store and told the guy my problem and he handed me a clear packet with two sections.

That's all I know, sorry.

Questions go unaswered in the "Man, I Love Apfelwein" Thread, so I will try to spark up this one instead of starting a new for the same topic.

I followed the recipe exactly (except w/Mott's -clear juice from concentrate +asorbic acid, can't get tree top near me), Tomorrow (thursday) will be 7 weeks from the start and it is still not as clear as the starting juice. I noticed it started clearing around the 4 or 5 week mark and has not gotten clearer since. around the same time the gavity was at 1.000. Is this as clear as I am going to get it? (without clearing agents) I look at edwort's pics and they look just as clear as the original juice in much less time. whats taking so long? My fermenting temp has been 70-75. How long should I wait before i try clearing agents? I was thinking bentonite or gelatin if nessary.

Back