What is everyones favourate "mainstream" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones favourite mainstream beer is? EG: Heineken, Stella..... not Craft Brewery Beers though! It will be interesting to see what people drink, if only given the choice of mainstream commercial beers.

Mines probably "Pilsner Urquell". :rockin:

Im picking most will be lagers of some sort...

Also, Can anyone identify this beers style, eg Pilsner? HB "Hofbrau Munchen" Hofbrau Original. "http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/beergeek_1984_946037"

I would say it is a Munich style lager. Nice round malt, balanced hops that are less present then in the PU.

Favorite beer? Changes with every trip to the store, but I would have to say today's answer is SN's Big Foot Barleywine.

Kiwi_Jonno said:
Just wondering what everyones favourite mainstream beer is? EG: Heineken, Stella..... not Craft Brewery Beers though! It will be interesting to see what people drink, if only given the choice of mainstream commercial beers.

Mines probably "Pilsner Urquell". :rockin:

Im picking most will be lagers of some sort...

Also, Can anyone identify this beers style, eg Pilsner? HB "Hofbrau Munchen" Hofbrau Original. "http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/beergeek_1984_946037"

non craft beer??

probably just regular ol Bud Light.

I'd probably go for a nice pint of Smithwick's most of the time if I'm reaching for a decent non craft brew. It's been my college go-to beer.

Mmm...I gotta agree with Newcastle and throw in Hoegaarden and Sierra Nevada if you consider that mainstream.:mug:

Well, me living in Mexico and not having that many options....I always turn to XX Ambar, Indio or Negra Modelo; when I know it's gonna be a long night and will be drinking many many beers, i turn to tasteless, but very light, Sol.

Does Sam Adam's Boston Lager count as mainstream? That is what I would order if I was eating at Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack. I guess it is mainstream enough to be found at most resteraunts.

mrk305 said:
Does Sam Adam's Boston Lager count as mainstream? That is what I would order if I was eating at Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack. I guess it is mainstream enough to be found at most resteraunts.

I'd personally consider Sam Adams as a craft beer company.

Same with Sierra Nevada.

If either of these eligible, then I retract my Bud Light statement.:drunk:

sam adams lager is common as heck around here... and I like it....

I'd have to go with Sierra Nevada, that's my fallback when I'm about at a bar. But I can't say I ever buy any mainstream beers other than at bars.

With 80+ craft breweries within lunch distance it's a tough call, but I'd say Newcastle with a light layer of RenFaire dust and a couple wenches.

I'd say that's a Munich Lager...it can be made using the So German Lager yeast.

My (almost) everyday brew is my German-style Hefe Weizen...it's not a seasonal brew for me. I probably have 3-4 kegs and 2 cases on-hand at the moment. ;)

High Life in the bottle ;). That's about as mainstream as it gets....but I usually only drink that at the Indy 500..

I think this question has only been answered properly by a few. I would say mainstream beers would be a beer that you can go into a gas station, and know that they will have. One that you can get all over the country. It doesn't have to be a cheap beer such as Budweiser, although if that's it, call it out.

As for me my favorite mainstream beer is Miller Lite.

If it has to be at the gas station, then it has to be bud, miller or coors, all they have at most gas statiobs here with the odd mexi-beer thrown in. I am going with Sam Adams and Newcastle, neither of which can I get at any gas station around me, but I can at the grocery store.

if we are taling really mainstream there is nothing wrong with a heieken; otherwise sierra nevada is pretty mainstream round here and always decent.

I used to think newcastle was the greatest thing since sliced bread in college, but now it sort of tastes like brown colored water

If there's only BMC, then I like Coors the best. Though, if you have the light beers, then Coors light is the worst.

If you have the usual imports, I think Beck's dark was pretty tasty, as I recall. However, truth be told, If I can't get a decent beer, I have no problem ordering a glass of water. I don't need to drink all the time..

Though if I am inclined, and if they have hard liquor, a Jack and Soda is a fine drink. So is Johnny Black on the rocks. I'll even have Dewars on the rocks with a splash of soda. Those are all just fine by me and much preferred over some domestic swill beer.

I will turn to hard liquor long before I ever drink something I won't enjoy. Even girly drinks, if they are tasty, are ok with me. I'm not trying to impress anybody..

Seems like the top few are... NewCastle, Pilsner Urquell and Guinness.

I had a Guinness "Draught" 440mL can with the widget that cabonates the beer last night. Can't say personally it was my fav dark beer, though the New Zealand black beers (Monteiths Black, Speights Dark) perhaps aren't true dark beers.

Anyone rate Becks or Carlsberg lagers?

"Favorite main stream" is subject to a lot of interpretation. How about this - Yeumgling's Old Chesterfield Ale is about the last semi-main stream beer I've had and it is not bad. On the other hand, if it's a hot day and I've been mowing the lawn and working outside, and I have no lemonade and I don't really want a Coke or other soft drink, the Coors Light will hit the spot.

I used to like Guiness until I started drinking other Stout's and now I think it's piss.

Back