Any issues with my rig design?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biodarwin

Reaction score
Moving from a manual, indoor system to an outdoor system with minimal lifiting. I also wanted to start doing larger batches. This is a 2 tier stand out of wood with a pump. BK to HLT and HLT to MLT will be pumped. MLT to BK and BK to carboy will happen via gravity.

The lids of the coolers will have a bulkhead and Cam-lock A adapter installed. The spigots were replaced with a bulkhead, 3 piece ball valve and Cam-lock F adapter. I wanted to keep the lids closed during transfers to eliminate heat loss as much as possible.

The pump will be a chugger inline pump. For cooling the HLT will be filled with water for a recirculating chilling system. Starting off with hose water, then progressing with ice water. I was thinking about a pond pump if this wont work with the chugger?

Other details:
15g SS Brew Kettle
SP-10 Burner

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2z85guu.png

Stand is built, plumbing for mash tun including sight glass and temp gauge should be here this week. Pump will be ordered next week. Getting excited!

That should work nicely, great graphics btw. I did something similar except it is 3 tier so I don't have a pump. I have a 10 gallon hlt on a turkey fryer up top. Rubbermaid cooler MLT next down. then my 10 gallon BK on a Bayou Classics SP10 that is high enough to fill the Better Bottle sitting on the floor.

I have a sight glass on the HLT and use a dip stick to measure the wort into the BK. Just finishing an Oatmeal Stout 5 gallon and partygyled peat smoked brown 3 gallons.

That should work nicely, great graphics btw.

Thank you!

I did something similar except it is 3 tier so I don't have a pump. I have a 10 gallon hlt on a turkey fryer up top. Rubbermaid cooler MLT next down. then my 10 gallon BK on a Bayou Classics SP10 that is high enough to fill the Better Bottle sitting on the floor.

I started the design as a 3 tier, but do to a recent elbow injury I went with 2 so I wouldn't have to lift things so high up.

Does anyone think adding a 90 degree elbow to the cam lock on the cooler lid will help? I am not sure if the hoses will collapse on itself?

A 90 would definitely help - hot liquids cause the hoses to collapse some, especially at sharp angles.

My only thought on initial look - make sure your plastic coolers aren't getting too much residual heat from the burner, or you'll have a bad day.

A 90 would definitely help - hot liquids cause the hoses to collapse some, especially at sharp angles.

My only thought on initial look - make sure your plastic coolers aren't getting too much residual heat from the burner, or you'll have a bad day.

I have brewed 2 batches on the new rig, prior to adding the pumps. Everything was good, coolers didn't get to hot.

The pump came in yesterday. Plugged it up for a test run. Everythings is working great so far. I am still lacking a hole saw so my sight gauge and thermometer for the HLT and the tops for coolers are not yet drilled.

Back