Stuck or just Paranoid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
Ok here is my dilemma, is my fermentation stuck or am I being paranoid? Ok the attached picture is at the 75 hour mark I have not seen any airlock activity at all. I did gravity reading and it was 1.040, original was 1.052 but could have been off and most likely closer to 1.060. Tasting did not taste any off flavor and seemed pretty on. I used safale US-05 have used it numerous times and usually in 12 to 24 hours it is vigorously going to town. So I need your advice please .

IMG_0162.jpg

I am not experienced enough to give a definite answer here - but I believe the 72 hour point is the mark at which you should be worried about dead or sick yeast.
I am currently at the 24 hour mark on a brown ale - and fermentation is at a fever pitch, so much so I am having to use a wet towel/fan to maintain 70-72 degrees.

So the big question is, Should I just go get some more yeast tomorrow and pitch it?

It looks like it is still fermenting (see those bubbles). Place the lid on it and don't open it again for at least 4 more days (preferably 10 more days). Just make sure it doesn't get too cold. Somewhere around mid 60s is perfect.

If the seal on the bucket lid is not perfect, CO2 gas can escape that way and will not show up in the airlock. I suspect you have a leak (nothing to worry about). At the height of fermentation you will see airlock activity if there is too much gas for the leak, but as activity slows down airlock activity will stop even though the yeast is still working.

Just look very closely at the surface. If you see small bubble coming to the surface it is still working.

Thanks, I suspect that it might be the lid, that leaks like you said. At least I hope it is.

I used the same yeast, and was worried too, glad to see someone in my predicament!I'll take the advice of leaving the lid closed, I removed the airlock and looks like I've got good krausen going,i'll take a hydrometer reading in a few days,i'm only at 27hrs,from the advice here it seems like
my brew will be fine!

So still no activity in the airlock at all, Friday I will check again and check the hydrometer reading. I am assuming that it is a leak int he gasket. Should I transfer to another vessel and pitch some more yeast? or just let it keep going in the same bucket?

Step away from the fermenter.....

The yeast is doing what it has done for thousands of years. Your gravity went from1.052 to 1.040 in 75 hours. Let the fermentation finish. Close it up, and just let it sit for. a couple more weeks before checking it again. I am willing to bet that the yeast did what it was supposed to do.

You can also smell the beer if it smells like beer then I wouldn't worry. My first few batches had a leaking lid and I was freaking out but I started smelling it and it smelt like beer so I stopped worry. Just remember its really hard to screw up beer. I mean the first beer was made by accident

yes I agree, if it smells like c02 is present and there is a beer smell I,should'nt worry.Loooks like it will turn out ok, thanks for the inpu1

Recheck your hydrometer in some water. That looks like a pretty healthy krausen ring. I wouldn't be surprised if your hydrometer is off.

Yeah, it looks like the krausen has dropped already and the yeast is in the final stages of fermentation. Did the temp drop suddenly? If not then your fermentation is probably almost. In any case, pitching more yeast is almost never the answer. Make sure it is in a mid to high 60s room and leave it for another week before you pick at it.

Back