Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtnagel said:
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap :)

A locally owned restaurant in our area (Athens Ga) has a small but VERY good selection both on tap and bottled and their menu has three categories. There is only a $0.50 price difference and they list as: BEER - GOOD BEER - REALY GOOD BEER.

from my MIL: he adds a lot of hops so there's a lot of alcohol.
he makes dark beers, like Bud heavy.
(on my SAL @ 4%) oh! this is really strong!

old coworker: nononono! stout is not a beer, it's an ale.

Ya, and we make all the people from Wisconsin go through customs when they come to Minnesota. :p

It isn't just beer where people think import when it really is domestic. I've talked to adults who have never been more than one state from where they were born and they have no idea about the geography of the US let alone the rest of the world.:confused:

Back in the days of mail order (vs internet shopping) I was once charged international shipping from Virginia to New Mexico. *facepalm*

Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.

That's right. They bought they old Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewery in Over-the-Rhine, who they used to use as a contract brewer. From what I've heard, the Boston brewery is mostly just for tours and small-batch R&D brewing these days. But yeah, it bugs me to see Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, etc. on the "imports" list.

I've shared this before, but I was talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer last year and told him I was working on a black IPA. He wasn't familiar with the style, so I was describing it to him and he asked if it was going to be "really hoppy, like a Guinness."

Well, yes...and no.

Also, my MIL, who is a fan of hoppier beers, likes to tell people that she likes the "real bitter, high-IPA (meaning IBU) type beers." She's on the right track at least.

mtnagel said:
Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.

Don't know about Cincinnati but here in Boston, their brewery is very small. They only make small batches here like the Boston brick red. If you got a brewery, chances are they brew more than here. Also heard Pennsylvania has a big Sam Adams brewery.

That's right. They bought they old Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewery in Over-the-Rhine, who they used to use as a contract brewer. From what I've heard, the Boston brewery is mostly just for tours and small-batch R&D brewing these days. But yeah, it bugs me to see Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, etc. on the "imports" list.

I've shared this before, but I was talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer last year and told him I was working on a black IPA. He wasn't familiar with the style, so I was describing it to him and he asked if it was going to be "really hoppy, like a Guinness."

Well, yes...and no.

Also, my MIL, who is a fan of hoppier beers, likes to tell people that she likes the "real bitter, high-IPA (meaning IBU) type beers." She's on the right track at least.
Thanks for the info.
Don't know about Cincinnati but here in Boston, their brewery is very small. They only make small batches here like the Boston brick red. If you got a brewery, chances are they brew more than here. Also heard Pennsylvania has a big Sam Adams brewery.
An didn't know that. Guess it makes sense they have more than Cincy and Boston but I think the labels I've seen only mention those two cities.

logan3825 said:
Leinenkugels is an import in Minnesota.

I was at a bar in Little Rock, AR (home of Diamond Bear brewery). They had Diamond Bear in the import list! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

mtnagel said:
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap :)

I unfortunately can't find the pic but my buddy sent me a menu where it was distinguished as "Real Beer" and "Piss Water"

SWMBO and I went to the only bar with good beer in a town with mostly BMC bars. She didn't know what they had so she asked for a Coors light. The bartender said "No, drink something better!" Haha

brew master over Crow Peak watched my friends wife pouring Clamato into their IPA in their tap room. he said, "What is she doing to my beer?!?"
my friend replied, "She puts it in every beer. You can't stop her. No one can." I just wish I was there for when she tried the porter. hahaha!

I was just at a barbecue place in Kansas City and my dad asked the waiter where Leinenkugel was from. I responded before the waiter saying Wisconsin, and the waiter's response was, "Oh, I thought it was from some place in Northern Europe!."

My step dad is the proverbial "master of everything" [in his mind]. Is always fun to mess with. He thinks that wikipedia or the interwebz always has the true awnser. A prime example is it took me 3 years to convince him that using mutiple devices on broadband was why he got a slow loading time. He thought broadband meant unlimted bandwith [he went to tech school for networking in the mid 90s, prolly a year before broadband became easily accesable]

I have given him a few beers to taste, and instead of sipping and analyzing, he just downs [chugs] them from the bottle, no smelling, or no decanting, and declares wether he approves of it or not. Then again he cant taste a difference between skips, resses, or store brand peanut butter.

Funniest things I have heard have to be from a bartender buddy of mine. who asked if I liked butt light [got some cheap cheap from work]. I told him hated it. He accusingly said you like those ipas then huh, I said no. He said well then what do you drink, I had to inform him of what a barley wine, bock, heffe, saison, and basically all the good stuff was. I recently caught him trying to school some guys on beer [bmc drinkers], that called corona a mexican ale... I'm so proud of him.

Funniest thing I hear alomost daily are the declerations of bud light or any bmc brand being a "great beer", with a great flavor. They have there place, as a lawnmower beer maybe, but most certainly arent great.

Budwiser is too strong, I drink bud light [hear that alot actually]

I dont drink that budwiser crap, I only like corona and tecate [facepalm, nice job being exotic]

Man I'm so glad I stepped up from natty/busch, this is strong/ better tasting [usually a guy holding a bmc or one of the aforementioned mexican beers]

I was at a bar with some friends for my birthday that had something like 40 or 50 beers on tap, most of which were worth drinking. We overheard a stereotypical collage guy come up to the bar and ask if he could get a pitcher of nati light. After a brief pause the bartender answered in a monotone: "No, you can't." I must admit, I laughed. But hey, we all start somewhere. I drank ridiculous amounts of miller high life before I became a hop head homebrewer.

I instantly thought of Mike from Breaking Bad when I read this. "No Walter, you can't". :D

My neighbor "figured out" I was a brewer and told me not to complain to him when the police show up.

Really? I guess it is the south and that's just what they're use to.

My neighbor "figured out" I was a brewer and told me not to complain to him when the police show up.

Really? I guess it is the south and that's just what they're use to.

I've been asked many times if I made meth. when I reply "no", they always ask, "then what's that copper coil for!" hahaha!

My new next door neighbor finally approached me a couple of months ago and I told her not to worry that I was just brewing beer she told me she has a degree in csi and knew that I wasn't making meth. Not 2 mins later she made a joke about me being a drug pusher to her husband because I have a beard and I'm always "cooking" in the garage. Then she told me that she sometimes sells pain killers and to make it all crazy her husband is a major in the army. Weird people.

My new next door neighbor finally approached me a couple of months ago and I told her not to worry that I was just brewing beer she told me she has a degree in csi and knew that I wasn't making meth. Not 2 mins later she made a joke about me being a drug pusher to her husband because I have a beard and I'm always "cooking" in the garage. Then she told me that she sometimes sells pain killers and to make it all crazy her husband is a major in the army. Weird people.

Awesome. They sound like people to have on your good side.

I unfortunately can't find the pic but my buddy sent me a menu where it was distinguished as "Real Beer" and "Piss Water"

SWMBO and I went to the only bar with good beer in a town with mostly BMC bars. She didn't know what they had so she asked for a Coors light. The bartender said "No, drink something better!" Haha

SWMBO, several friends, and myself were eating at a German restaurant that produces all their beer onsite. All of us were drinking Helles, hefeweizen, etc. except for my one friend (who drinks Miller Lite exclusively). Since there was no BMC available, he had to order the house light lager, and the waiter teased him about it. After the first round, SWMBO switched to a Coke because she didn't want to overdo it. My friend asked the waiter why he didn't make fun of her for drinking a Coke, and he responded, "because she ordered a real beer the first time!"

I was in Monk's in Philly and two guys came in and asked for Coor's Light. The woman behind the bar said that do not carry any beers like that. She explained that they carry mostly Belgian beers. She offered a sample of something for them to try. They decided that they could drink that and ordered a couple. They proceeded to drink these Belgians at the same pace they were used to drinking Coor's Light. After a few of those yhey said lots of funny stuff, because they were totally loaded.....very entertaining.

I was in Monk's in Philly and two guys came in and asked for Coor's Light. The woman behind the bar said that do not carry any beers like that. She explained that they carry mostly Belgian beers. She offered a sample of something for them to try. They decided that they could drink that and ordered a couple. They proceeded to drink these Belgians at the same pace they were used to drinking Coor's Light. After a few of those yhey said lots of funny stuff, because they were totally loaded.....very entertaining.

On a serious note: Most people who drink beer like that just drink it to get drunk. These two guys may have just stumbled into craft brew, specifically Belgians. If they remember that they had to drink less beer to get "wasted" they might start drinking this beer more often and they may even venture into other styles.

For them, this could be the beginning of the realization that beer can have flavor.

My wife and I went to a local deep dish pizza place in STL, Pi, a few years ago after it first opened. When the waitress came to take our order I asked her what beers they had. She said their "premium" beer was PBR. After I stopped lauging she continued to go through the list and never once mentioned an AB product. I was curious why a local company that prides itself on being "green" was shipping in beers from all over the country but not locally, so I asked her "Why no AB products?". She told me the owner didn't think they complemented his pizza.

I learned 2 valuable lessons that day - 1.) If you want real deep dish pizza, go to Chicago, and 2.) Trendy "hipster" (aka "green") pizza joint owners make the worst kind of beer snobs.

"Nah, I don't like lager." - myself, last night.

(In my defense, I meant to say I didn't like -Harp- lager, which a random loud guy at the pub was trying to push on people. I find it tastes like wet dog smells, so I was attempting to dodge that particular bullet.)

"It's sweet because it is a quadruple, which means they ferment it four times, and they have to add more sugar each time to keep it going" - some guy in the next aisle at the beer store last night.

Actually close enough to almost knowing what he was talking about that I wanted to correct him but I found it funny.

Reminded me of many years ago when my friend offered me a pint of Anchor Steam..."You've never tried this before? It's good, they use steam to brew it"

Remember those bitter beer face commercials?

I was outside boiling the other day. My Keggle was on my burner, outside temp in the low 40's, steam rolling out of the kettle. My neighbor across the street comes over and asks if I am burning my garbage. I explain to him I am brewing beer. I was enjoying a previous brew. An oak aged bourbon infused old ale. He asked to try some. I smiled and poured him a glass. I was reluctant to just because he solely drinks Coors light and I knew he wouldn't appreciate it. He drank the whole glass. With every sip he made the "bitter beer face" and said-"Boy, That's Bitter." I think IBU's are only around 50.

My BIL loves most of my homebrew, but usually drinks only Coors Light. His favorite beer is Bud Light Lime, but he can "only drink 1 or 2 at a time because it's so strong. And he (effing) hates Miller Lite. It tastes terrible!" then he makes the bitter beer face.
He drank 1 HB porter tonight and said he was too buzzed to have any more. Maybe he doesn't actually like it? But he was saying he wanted to get into home brewing... I'm so confused.

PurdyGood said:
My BIL loves most of my homebrew, but usually drinks only Coors Light. His favorite beer is Bud Light Lime, but he can "only drink 1 or 2 at a time because it's so strong. And he (effing) hates Miller Lite. It tastes terrible!" then he makes the bitter beer face.
He drank 1 HB porter tonight and said he was too buzzed to have any more. Maybe he doesn't actually like it? But he was saying he wanted to get into home brewing... I'm so confused.

Does he weigh 75lbs?

Ya, and we make all the people from Wisconsin go through customs when they come to Minnesota. :p

It isn't just beer where people think import when it really is domestic. I've talked to adults who have never been more than one state from where they were born and they have no idea about the geography of the US let alone the rest of the world.:confused:

Honestly what bugged me the most is that they charged more for Leinies. It isn't that much more expensive than regular Miller products.

I was at Bevmo a few weeks back, and two guys were looking at beer as I normally do.

One guy was telling the other about IPA's and how"they lay you down", etc.

The only problem was, he was saying IPA as if it were a word, he pronounced it "eepah"

Gothgar said:
I was at Bevmo a few weeks back, and two guys were looking at beer as I normally do.

The only problem was, he was saying IPA as if it were a word, he pronounced it "eepah"

Haha, I love me some eepahs!

Gothgar said:

Did they end up settling for some essb?

Back