inaccurate beer descriptions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't people understand that just because your dad and your dad's dad drank it doesn't mean its good. This beer shouldn't be shouldn't served, sold, or given away for free. This is pure butt pee in a can. Some one should petition congress and have there brewery shut down and burned. This a black eye on America's beer portfolio. I hate this beer.

I like PBR. It's my go-to mass-produced beer. I also like Banquet. I have a friend who keeps a record of all the beers he's tried (a very long list). He enjoys Ginny Cream Ale. Just because you enjoy beers that aren't mass-produced, doesn't mean you have to stop drinking your old standards. Sometimes, a low-hopped, crisp, light-bodied and refreshing beer is going to hit the spot.

I like PBR. Sometimes, a low-hopped, crisp, light-bodied and refreshing beer is going to hit the spot.

Good hear someone else say it. I love me some fancy beers, but sometimes a light adjunct lager is the way to go. For the price PBR can't be beat. That is, unless you're in Wisconsin and you have classic selections like Hamms, Lacrosse, Schiltz, and Strohs to wash down your PBR. Whenever I'm back in Rochester Genny becomes my go-to.

That said, I've seen a pattern in beer descriptions lately claiming fruit flavors from lager yeast and using "juicy" malt character. I thought most esters, for that matter esters of any kind, were undesirable in lagers ('clean' being that adjective I most associate with lager yeast), and I just can't reconcile 'juicy' with malty. Hops sure, but malt flavors?

Had a Victory Storm King Imperial stout tonight for the first time. Over the top hopped with little malt character. A black IPA would likely be much closer. I was wanting a stout, so was very disappointing with their description. Probably be my last storm king as a result.

Years ago I had the privilege to taste (taste? hell, drink a quart or two) of PBR on draft in Milwaukee. Unpasteurized, fresh from the brewery. It was a wonderful beer! Especially when drinking it with Willy G. Davidson (but that's another story...).

i generally like PBR too for having a character, though maybe I too am falling victim to a brand image/set of ideas associated with a product.

My friends and I are far from hooting fratboys, but we have been known to purchase a floating beer pong raft and go out onto a sandbar in Grand Traverse Bay and rip out some beer pong! Canned Atwater Circus IPA ($3.99 six pack and not terrible) was our go-to. I don't understand why you bash it and paint all beer pong players with such a broad brush. And why are you hating on Newcastle so hard? It isn't my favorite either, but you seem like you have some sort of heir of superiority going on.

im "hating on" newcastle because of what i just mentioned, brand image/advertising. newcastle is not bad, i'd drink it, i'd also drink heineken. however, they are part of the mega-macro machine. back to the main point of this thread, i know a lot of people who are in love with a brand of beer not because of taste but because of brand image, or a fraudulent idea of authenticity. perhaps i do have an air of superiority, i see it as being thoughtful.

and im very sorry if i am tarnishing the name of the great sport of beer pong in your eyes. i'll try to expand my horizons and join up for some lessons at the local rec centre.

Good hear someone else say it. I love me some fancy beers, but sometimes a light adjunct lager is the way to go. For the price PBR can't be beat. That is, unless you're in Wisconsin and you have classic selections like Hamms, Lacrosse, Schiltz, and Strohs to wash down your PBR. Whenever I'm back in Rochester Genny becomes my go-to.

That said, I've seen a pattern in beer descriptions lately claiming fruit flavors from lager yeast and using "juicy" malt character. I thought most esters, for that matter esters of any kind, were undesirable in lagers ('clean' being that adjective I most associate with lager yeast), and I just can't reconcile 'juicy' with malty. Hops sure, but malt flavors?

ahh yes and "sweetness" from hops. haha

i generally like PBR too for having a character, though maybe I too am falling victim to a brand image/set of ideas associated with a product.

im "hating on" newcastle because of what i just mentioned, brand image/advertising. newcastle is not bad, i'd drink it, i'd also drink heineken. however, they are part of the mega-macro machine. back to the main point of this thread, i know a lot of people who are in love with a brand of beer not because of taste but because of brand image, or a fraudulent idea of authenticity. perhaps i do have an air of superiority, i see it as being thoughtful.

and im very sorry if i am tarnishing the name of the great sport of beer pong in your eyes. i'll try to expand my horizons and join up for some lessons at the local rec centre.

Oh wow, I did use the incorrect word. Then again, I find it interesting that you can pick out that, but cannot seem to use the proper case through even one sentence.

Anyhow, your point about the "mega-macro" machine is still not well taken. If you cannot handle the filter required to ignore advertising and marketing, don't pay attention to it at all or let it bother you. It's beyond your control. And further, it has nothing to do with this thread, which was about beer descriptions.

People who like PBR generally enjoy playing beer pong. ::cross:

Mayhap the content of this thread on ye forum be related to "inaccurate beer descriptions"? Lest I be the simpleton, 'twould seem you've comandeered it for your purposes of beer snobbery.

But seriously, chill bra.

Ugh... PBR... I live in a very interesting part of town. Often marked by the high population of "hipsters." I really hate that term, but I'll put it to you this way: The price of PBR in the last 5 years has risen by about 15%. The new PBR around here is Black Label. It's always stocked at the local stores.

Ugh... PBR... I live in a very interesting part of town. Often marked by the high population of "hipsters." I really hate that term, but I'll put it to you this way: The price of PBR in the last 5 years has risen by about 15%. The new PBR around here is Black Label. It's always stocked at the local stores.

Never had black label. Where is your part of town?

Also I agree, hipsters make me think of womens jeans.

Never had black label. Where is your part of town?

Also I agree, hipsters make me think of womens jeans.

Hahahaha you mean men in women's jeans? Yea, another stereotype with, well, a rather high frequency of examples supporting it!

I live in Grand Rapids, MI. On the SE side.

Black Label is like... Canadian PBR? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/433/8617 Just another dirt-cheap adjunct lager. Not my thing, but people eat it up. Hard to beat a $0.50 can of beer AT a bar.

To be fair, where I live PBR is still 3.50 for a 6-pack of 16oz cans. Ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Icehouse and Milwaukee's Best and infinitely better.

I'm noticing that the fad for PBR is passing over and that Schlitz is coming the new trendy beer with the "hipster" crowd. Which I find odd because the only people I know who drink Schlitz unironically are men over 60 from the upper midwest who hang onto their brand loyalty from their youth. It was common growing up there but after many years on the east coast it's just now eeking into bars and onto shelves (again?).

To be fair, where I live PBR is still 3.50 for a 6-pack of 16oz cans. Ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Icehouse and Milwaukee's Best and infinitely better.

I'm noticing that the fad for PBR is passing over and that Schlitz is coming the new trendy beer with the "hipster" crowd. Which I find odd because the only people I know who drink Schlitz unironically are men over 60 from the upper midwest who hang onto their brand loyalty from their youth. It was common growing up there but after many years on the east coast it's just now eeking into bars and onto shelves (again?).

Wow, $3.50 for a 6-pack of 16oz cans? I'd probably buy a few of those now and then, too at that price. Might have to report back after going to the store what the price of PBR is here...

Back