Help with modifications to Midwest kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
Ive made the Midwest oatmeal stout before and it turned out awesome. I want to make a change to it. I want a more oatty flavor to it.

It comes with oat and chocolate malt for steeping grains. Im wondering if adding more flaked oats or real oats would give me more oatty flavor to the brew. Im also using a wyeast smack pack for brewing also. I just want a little more flavor to it. Or should i add something else to it to get the flavor i want?

I believe that I read somewhere here that someone used, or was recommended to use plain instant oates in a pinch for an oatmeal stout. I could be wrong, but that's what stuck in my head.

I was wondering if I could go to my local homebrew store and pick up more oats from them or chocolate malt anybody know anything

I was wondering if I could go to my local homebrew store and pick up more oats from them or chocolate malt anybody know anything

You could, but I don't think you'd like the results.

I know it sounds crazy, but oats don't taste "oaty" in a beer. If you add more oats, you will get a "slicker", more oily mouthfeel, but not more oats flavor.

What would work is to toast the oats in the oven. You just spread them out on a cookie sheet and toast at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until they are toasted and smell like oatmeal cookies. Cool them, and use in the batch.

And for the chocolate malt, it doesn't provide a chocolate flavor at all. It's more of a "roasty" flavor. Increasing that might make it more acrid and harsh, not chocolate-y.

I don't like chocolate, so I've never tried it but many who want to make a chocolate stout add cocoa nibs to secondary. That could be something to consider if you want to add some chocolate flavor.

How much oats should I use since I'm going to steep them. 2 lbs extra try little and see what happens

Well I don't know if I can toast the oats I have they are mixed with the chocolate malt in a bag

Back