Crappy SA Summer Ale Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went my local home brew meeting. One friend gave me 4 Sam Adams (SA) Summer Ales. (Out of more or less a trade)

Today I poured the first SA in the my SA Glass. Which happens to be the 1st time SA meets with my SA glass. My HB had first dibbs..... (nice glass)

This is the 2nd time I got crappy-a$$ quality Summer Ale from Sam Adams. This is the last time I drink SA Summer Ale. :mad:

It tastes like boiled corn!!! You can get a good smell or wiff of it as you suck it into your mouth. (Just walked out to the deck an threw it into the weeds 20' below!) Now I have a Pleasant Hill Pils - Ahhhhh.... Better...

The neck label of the SA bottle sitting in front of me should read. :

Gaggingly, aweful and nasty, Summer Ale is brewed with rancid wheat malt, lemon dust, and grains from a feed lot, a discount brewing spice that we swept up off the floor instead of finding something thats better. Summer Ale is an American Ale from one of America's Original Craft Brewers, who decided to replace their head brewer and quality department when they went on vacation with summer help who comprised of summer interns and students on summer break who just needed a job. Cheers!!​

It just pisses me off something fierce! :mad:

Last week I drank Fat Tire & Hacker Pshorr on tap. Both of which sucked balls. The beer was stale and nasty.

I'm getting to the point I can't drink commercial beer. I don't like the disappointment. I have heard this before from others and thought they were being primadona's. I was wrong.

I just have to vent. Comments welcome!! - Tell me about your lousy beer experiences. - The weekend is still young.....

I bought a Sam Adams summer sampler a few weeks ago. The cherry wheat tasted like a Shirly Temple and the Wheat tasted like it had an infection. At least it had two bottles of Boston Lager in the assortment and it came with free bottles.

Honestly I've had more bad luck with SA than good. The standout best I've had is their white ale from the spring. But honestly, I'll choke it down for the bottles, I've never seen labels come off so easy in my life!

mike

Interesting that I just saw a SA commercial trying to educate the public on how beer gets skunked more easily via clear/green bottles. At least they are trying to expand America's definition of beer beyond BMC.

MLynchLtd said:
Honestly I've had more bad luck with SA than good. The standout best I've had is their white ale from the spring. But honestly, I'll choke it down for the bottles, I've never seen labels come off so easy in my life!

mike

Try Spaten half liter bottles. The labels practically fall off after a 10 minute soak in starsan...

Schlenkerla said:
The neck label of the SA bottle sitting in front of me should read. :

Gaggingly, aweful and nasty, Summer Ale is brewed with rancid wheat malt, lemon dust, and grains from a feed lot, a discount brewing spice that we swept up off the floor instead of finding something thats better. Summer Ale is an American Ale from one of America's Original Craft Brewers, who decided to replace their head brewer and quality department when they went on vacation with summer help who comprised on summer interns and students on summer break who just needed a job. Cheers!!​

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!! :drunk:

Damn Squirrels said:
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!! :drunk:

I'm glad you enjoyed that!! I was really pissed when I started the post. I actually pitched it off the deck. I wonder if it work as good as Round-Up on those weeds!

:mug:

Damn Squirrels said:
Try Spaten half liter bottles. The labels practically fall off after a 10 minute soak in starsan...

But, that means I'll have to drink the spaten then...:( I dunno....

mike

Hste to break it to you guys, but Sam Adams has brewed nothing but CRAP for some time now. Similar things happen to many craft brewers who get too large, my favorite beers in high school all suck now! Stick with the smaller newer brewers to avoid dissapointment.

Are the SA glasses really that great?

I've never had a problem with Sam Adams. Because of Sam Adams support of the homebrewing community, I'd bet if you were to contact them and tell them about your experience they'd make it right. Give it a shot and see what happens.

I concur, the worst thing about complaining is doing so in a way that doesn't really give any feedback to the problem. You can't fix it if you don't know its broken ;)

I to would like to know about teh SA Glass, does it make a big difference?

SA is definitely not consistant. Sometimes I think their brews are the best on earth, and the next batch sucks.

I agree if you don't tell them about the problem they can't fix it either. I'll send them an email.

I will say I had a good Sammy last night. It was a Samuel Smith India Ale! It was quite good with the fish & chips. I sucked down a Boddington's too. SWMBO drank 3 Strongbow Ciders! We found this cool English Pub in Des Moines that has 26 tap beers, mostly imports, as for a grand total they've got 150 beers. I'll be goin' back there quite often.

I'll have to use the remaining three SA for boiling brats. :mug:

I'd have to generally agree, I've been drinking Summer Ale pretty regularly the last couple of months, and they seem to vary in flavor from six pack to six pack. One will be pretty good the next seems to have off almost tinny flavors.

The differing in tastes from one sixer to another is what i love about SA products. It is like trying a new beer everytime. I compare from memory one beer to the current one i am drinking and try to figure out what they may have done different. None have been undrinkable, matter of fact, all have been better than my american wheat HB I am currentyly trying to choke down (first and hopefully last over sparging).

I love this beer. One of my favorites. I read that it's an all year beer, but damned if I could find it after 3 beer store visits here in Western Mass.

By the way almost to 100 posts. :ban:

Back