Vorlauf: How clear is clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just did my first batch sparge last night which included hitting the temps within 1 degree but an abysmal 58% efficiency. The night also included one mamma-jamma boilover.

My question is regarding vorlauf. I recirculated about 1 gallon and it did not appear to be any more clear than when I first started the vorlauf. There were no chunks of malt floating in it or anything, but it was definitely cloudy. This was a high-gravity beer, with 19.5# of grain if that matters.

How clear should the vorlauf be?

You had it right, 'clear' means not chunky. As soon as you get consistent run off with little to no grain matter you're good to go. I usually have to do 4-5L (1L at a time) before I'm ready to start running off.

Edit: I should mention, before you start your vorlauf, give the mash a good stir. This gets as much sugar as possible into solution and also helps to evenly distribute the grains; then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The grain will naturally settle pretty evenly on the bottom and create a filter-bed much more easily.

I can usually get mine to run pretty clear (sometimes clearer than the end product, oddly enough). I wouldn't sweat it if it's a little hazy, but you definitely want to avoid any solid husk/starch matter.

I vourlof until I don't see any more pieces coming through. The wort clears a bit by then but it is still slightly cloudy. I fly sparge and I'd say I recirculate about 1 1/2 gallons.

I do about three quartstoo , anything more to me is just a waste of time, but again it depends on your system. Like everyone else said "as long as there are no major chunks you should be good to go."

- WW

Back