New Northern Brewer catalogue- has a Furious clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have to say first that I LOVE the Northern Brewer catalogues. They have great pictures, talk about the beer recipes and styles, and I save them for reference.

But tonight, I'm paging through the new catalogue and I see this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-ShirleyFurioso.pdf

Now, I realize that this has been on their website since winter- but I never saw it. Or if I did, it was before I tasted Surly's Furious. Furious is my new all-time-favorite beer. It's only available in Minnesota (maybe only the Twin Cities?) but when I tried it for the first time in June I decided I loved it. Fate took me back to the Twin Cities in July, and I stocked up.

Has anyone else made this beer? Can you compare this clone to the original? All I know of this beer is that Omar Ansari (one of the owners of Surley) told me that there are "7 hop varieties" in it. He just smiled and nodded when I said, "Simcoe? Amarillo?"

Nope Never Tried it out. I am with you on the nice website. I like that they share the recipe. Its a nice recipe source.

I absolutely love the fact that they make their recipes available!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/docs/

I wish other online BHS stores would do the same (especially AHS). I understand that it may hurt their business in the end, but a boy can dream...can't he? :)

John

On the contrary, I would never buy a recipe unless I could see the ingredients first.

I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious.............

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/furious-clone-148291/

Nice thread with multiple revised recipies, some "expert" opinions and a link to the byo clone recipe (which looks a little suspect).

There is also a Midwest Supplies clone recipe (ferocious) out as well. I have never had the original, but have loved both of my versions of the clones I have brewed. mmmmmm.........

jason

It had me until I saw what yeast they were recommending..really? A British ale yeast wit that hop profile?
While non-traditional perhaps given the use of American hops, is it bad to use British yeasts for an IPA?

Also, IPA = a British style.

I will be trying a clone brewed by a friend (Sourmash) this Sunday. He said it was awesome going into the bottles so I am hoping it rocks socks. I don't know what recipe he used, I'll find out this weekend and report back.

I absolutely love the fact that they make their recipes available!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/docs/

I wish other online BHS stores would do the same (especially AHS). I understand that it may hurt their business in the end, but a boy can dream...can't he? :)

John

I have just bought bulk hops, so without seeing the recipe and having the ability to remove any hops I will have to stick to BMW.

I will be trying a clone brewed by a friend (Sourmash) this Sunday. He said it was awesome going into the bottles so I am hoping it rocks socks. I don't know what recipe he used, I'll find out this weekend and report back.

This is by far the best beer I have brewed and IMO is spot on with the real deal. I'm having a labor day brew party and possibly will have some cans of Furious to do a blind taste test. I did not deviate from the recipe to much...just substituted more Cascade for the Ahtanum since NB was out of stock. I created a starter with the WY1335. Hit the numbers pretty much dead on. The OG was slightly higher and finished out at 1.017 which I thought was great. This was the recipe from Northern Brewer.....
Here's a quick video of the fermentation

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious.............

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/furious-clone-148291/

Nice thread with multiple revised recipies, some "expert" opinions and a link to the byo clone recipe (which looks a little suspect).

There is also a NB clone recipe out as well. I have never had the original, but have loved both of my versions of the clones I have brewed. mmmmmm.........

jason

Thanks for the link! I'm not sure I like the BYO version but I'll take a look at this closely!

Oh, please do! That would be great. My favorite IPAs are Furious, and Lakefront's. The big citrusy/piney flavor with the malt backbone underneath make me swoon.

I think the clone recipe here one the HBT is pretty spot on-I used skisolo's version-and screwed it up a fair amout...and it was stilll very tasty. Its a totally different animal using Golden Promise as a base malt-but I like it very much. Furious is THE thing that makes my trips back to MN to see the inlaws tolerable! Had it on tap at the Laughing Gnome in St. Paul and found Beer Nirvana...

I brewed up the NB version with a friend and for him, it was the best beer he's ever had. I made a few hop substitutions, namely using Magnum for bittering and Cascade in place of Ahtanum, and used Nottingham dry yeast. I apparently racked to secondary for dryhopping too soon, the yeast was not finished and it kicked up fermentation again to my dismay of smelling all the aroma escaping away into the ether. Shame, 3 oz of hops...

Having recently tried a can of Surly, mine was missing the sharper bitterness and sharp aroma of the original. This is understandable and overall, I'!d say it is a solid recipe. Mine may have been a deeper color with the 2oz black patent I used, which judges picked up some roastiness that I couldn't find. Too dark an IPA had them searching for it, I'm sure, but YMMV.

And it's no surprise you like it Yooper, seems as if most of your ales run Munich along with pale backed up by Amarillo/Simcoe!

Sorry about forgetting about this thread. Anyway, Sourmash's Furious clone was awesome. It hadn't cleared yet because it was only three weeks grain to glass, but it was great. Huge grapefruit aroma, nice malt notes. The only ding would have been the age. I think I will be brewing this recipe. We didn't do a side-by-side but it was similar to how I remember furious.

Back