Show us your insulated keezer collars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I've only seen a few pictures of insulated keezer collars.

I think most people don't bother insulating them but I would like to consider it if I could keep it neat and tidy looking.

I'm going with a 1"x4" collar.

Show off your handiwork and we'll throw some adulation your way.

If you can also explain how you did it, it would be helpful.

2113-img_1344.jpg

david, how did you do that? What material is the insulation?

That's a pretty beefy looking collar. It probably has better R value than the freezer wall.

Also I was reading some threads on seltzer water where you posted. Is one of the taps hooked up to dispense seltzer?

No pics, nothing to see really, but I used plastic 2x6 fencing material for my collar. It's hollow (but with two internal ribs), so I shoved extruded polystyrene insulation (the pink stuff) into the center. It also gave me a nice conduit for running the wiring for my Love controller.

photo-121.jpg

I built the outside out of 16ga. sheet metal and insulated it with pink polystyrene. The inside panels are 6064 t6 aluminum. I have more pics from the process, just waiting til they upload and I'll display them here.

I built this collar from a material called Azek. This material is a pvc foam board, it has the density and workability of clear pine, and the insulation value vary close to styrofoam, it is white in color so no need to finish with anything. I laminated two pices of the 3/4" material using azek pvc cement for a 1 1/2" collar thickness, this achieves an R value of just under 8, which is double the freezer wall itself. The corners are glued with the same adhesive, then routed the corners, sanded and set into a bed of silicone caulk to adhere to the keezer.
5kegsin72.jpg

jimshear - that's pretty impressive. I just checked your gallery. I think most people won't have sheet metal bending and welding tools though...

Gander - I really like how neat everything looks in your set up. That Azak material looks promising. I'll have to check to see if HD has it and how much it costs.

leboeuf - Did you make a insulation sandwich with MDF boards on your approach? That might be the direction that I'm leaning. 1"x4.5" then 1" insulation then MDF board to hide the insulation. I would then paint the MDF board to prevent moisture from seeping in.

Here is a four holer Azek trim board collar that I made for my son's keezor, he will be picking it up this weekend.

kezclor.jpg

Gander, what's your source to buy the Azek material and price?

I haven't made my way to HD yet and I don't want to waste a trip if it won't be there.

I sell Azek as well as many other building materials, located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The four holer shown above is for a 7.2 cu ft Magic Chef and used one piece of Azek 1x8x18' and a 4 oz. can of glue to construct.

1x6x12' 28.50, 1x6x18' 42.50, 1x8x12' 37.75, 1x8x18' 56.75, 4 oz adhesive 7.50

Azek has a website with a dealer locator http://www.azek.com/azek-trim/
You would be looking for Azek trim not their decking product. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Interested in building an insulated collar from Azek trim.
How difficult is it to work with this material (cutting, holes, cementing)? I'm thinking the stability of mounting the hinge and taking the strain on the mounting screws(?) over time. Is there more stability in using wood for the outer collar with insulation (Azek or otherwise) inside?

Azek will cut, route, and sand very much like pine. I make my collars by screwing and gluing together the four sides out of ¾” material then laminating an outside layer of ¾” by clamping for an overall thickness of 1 ½”. This way there are no fasteners exposed on the collar inside or out. Do use their adhesive, I have used regular plumbing PVC cement with Azec but it sets very fast, the Azec glue is much more workable. This stuff holds screws just fine. I used a paddle bit to make my drilled holes, drilling from one side until the point of the bit breaks thru, then finish from the opposite side to prevent chipping on the back side. I use this technique with any material wood or Azek. Azek is much more stable than wood it will not crack, twist or warp, along with it's insulation value it is ideal for this type of use. I am sure that I have a few pieces of this stuff in my shop PM your address to me and I will mail you a small piece.

Here's a shot of mine - not completed yet - but just stapled some rolled insulation to the inside of the collar to give some added barrier

IMG_20251.JPG

Here's my insulated collar... two layers of 3/4" foam cut out from a 4'x8' sheet I got at Lowes.

DSC00922.JPG

DSC00924.JPG

DSC00953.JPG

Here's a shot of mine - not completed yet - but just stapled some rolled insulation to the inside of the collar to give some added barrier

IMG_20251.JPG

bsbrewer, do you have a thread on your keezer, i'm curious about the collar that looks to open like a door

Awesome! I have a freezer chest that wouldn't fit a corny normally (too short), but if I put in a collar it would totally make it work.

I have a new project to work on!

I know this is bring up an old post... but I'm looking for info on the Azek material. I found it at Home Depot locally, but see nothing regarding its insulating ability. Are there different types of Azek trim? I love the idea because I won't need to worry about moisture, and that it apparently offers insulation properties... but want to make sure I'm buying the correct stuff.

Azek is manufactured primarily as a trim so you are not going to find anything on insulation values in any of there standard literature. I am a building material retailer, I could find nothing on the insulation value but it did seem to pass a basic heat reflective test. So I contacted Azek and talked with one of there engineers to find out that it is a PVC foam board having a insulation value similar to the rigid Styrofoam type sheeting. Azek only makes the one of product of this type, if it says Azek on the label it is the right stuff. I have made three keezer collars from this and they work great, good insulation and easy to clean. Do use the adhesive that they offer for this product. The first collar I made I used standard PVC cement. It worked but had no where near the working time that the Azek stuff does. Any other questions, give me a PM and I will give you my cel number and gladly talk with you on how I constructed my collars.
George

Inside and outside layers are 1x6's of cedar. The inside is 1" expanded polyurethane foam insulation. We put a 1x4 ceder cover on top with an appx. 1/2" reveal. Everything was done using a regular table saw and chop saw. Four layers of stain did the job. 2.5" screws sandwiched everything together while caulk and additional wood screws secured the collar into the chest freezer. Fits 4 ball locks on the bottom like a glove...but I could very reasonably see just keeping 3 and having some wiggle room for storage. Taps to come soon! Feel free to e-mail w/ questions!

Insulation.jpeg

FrontSmall.jpg

Back