when to flip from primary to secondary ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabanabob

Reaction score
have read that you should switch to secondary AFTER the fermentation finishes in the primary (week or so). Also have read that you should switch to secondary BEFORE the fermentation ends in primary......which camp is right, or mo better ???:ban::ban:

There's way too many words in that post. Unless you want to dry hop and reuse the original cake, or rack onto fruit or wood, or something like that, just leave your beer on the yeast until packaging. Your beer will be much better for it.

Thanks Revvy! Absolutely on spot info!! Just joined the Michigan Mashers too ! double good night for cabanabob. Learning a lot about this great sport !! Will say hi if i can make it over on Saturday!

Thanks Revvy! Absolutely on spot info!! Just joined the Michigan Mashers too ! double good night for cabanabob. Learning a lot about this great sport !! Will say hi if i can make it over on Saturday!

Too cool, I hope you can make it!

Glad I could help, even though someone thinks there's "too many words.":rolleyes:.

I kinda think most folks on here who are asking for information, especially on something as complicated an "argument" have the intelligence to read something written coherently, and want a level of detail. :D

I have brewed a chain of APAs and IPAs in a row(10 now!) so I have secondaried all of them. I have the fermenter space(4 buckets and 2 BBs) I just move them to secondary so
A) I can dry hop
B) I can see the beer from the sides and know how clear it is, plus its fun to look at.
Typically I do a week in primary then 2 in secondary, but I have been known to do 2 in primary and 1 in seconday. If I am not dry-hopping I normally leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. Delicious beer is always made!

Glad I could help, even though someone thinks there's "too many words."

I'm glad you picked up on the sarcasm there, since I didn't use an emoticon. A good thorough post indeed, and one that helped me find my own way. Thanks.

Back