Bayou Classic SQ14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Anybody have this burner, I want to upgrade mine, which currently has trouble boiling even 6 gallons. I have a keggle to do extract full boils in right now, next spring I want to step up to all grain. Just wondering if anyone has this and is it enough to do vigourous boils in, say, 20 mins? The one I have now is toooooo slow, and if I could trim just a little time off of brew days it would make SWMBO happy and me too, I am pretty busy with other stuff but I am addicted to brewing lol.

scroll to the bottom of the page plenty of threads on this unit I have one works fine I upgraded to the Kickabanjo KAB4 though

Plenty of BTUs to boil quickly, wide enough for most kettles (within reason), and very stable. I got mine from Amazon and consider it the best deal in my HB arsenal.

I have it and like it. I normally do 6 gallon batches but I have done up to 10 gallons with it though. No problems here. Buy it but not from Amazon, $66 is a little expensive. I bought mine from Ace Hardware. It was $50 bucks and got it shipped to the store for free.

Can I just add a 20 psi regulator to help with a 10 gallon boil if I wanted to? or are they different sizes?

Got mine from hobbywarehouse.com for $38.69. A quick search didn't turn up that model now tho. I love it. I've had no problems with it doing it's job and it is very easy on fuel.

Anybody have this burner, I want to upgrade mine, which currently has trouble boiling even 6 gallons. I have a keggle to do extract full boils in right now, next spring I want to step up to all grain. Just wondering if anyone has this and is it enough to do vigourous boils in, say, 20 mins? The one I have now is toooooo slow, and if I could trim just a little time off of brew days it would make SWMBO happy and me too, I am pretty busy with other stuff but I am addicted to brewing lol.

I have owned two of those for years and have no problem boiling 10-12 gallons in a keggle. Have you tried cleaning out any obstructions in the air intake or the burner? Is your regulator working OK? A bit of maintenance or a replacement part might get you back in business for less than a new unit.

Buy it!!!!. I bought mine this past spring and it has worked great! Wide enough for most brew pots and it uses very little fuel. You cannot go wrong with this model.

Can I just add a 20 psi regulator to help with a 10 gallon boil if I wanted to? or are they different sizes?

That model will blow itself out if you run anything higher than a 10psi. I have one of these and it works well for 12 gallons (holds the keggle nicely), but I've been thinking of replacing the burner with a standard bayou classic standard burner so I can rock out w/ the 20psi reg.

This is the only burner I have owned, so I really can not compare it to much else. But I can comment on it. The stand is ROCK solid. I too have a converted keg, and this stand fits it perfect. The stand is about 1/2" bigger on all sides than my keg. (AB keg) I fly sparge, so Ill light my flame just as the wort covers the false bottom. Adjust to a med/med-low flame and do a 30 min. run off. Once run off is complete, Ill cover the keg and reach full boil with in 20 min. Now I have put a lid on it from the start of run off, and turned it up to a high flame and had a boil going befor run off was finished. But I just dont like to put that many BTU's into such a small spot. After a year of use, the burner has quit a bit of rust on it, I live in WA though, so take that for what it is. Most is just surface rust, but there is a bit of pitting. I have never been able to turn the reg. all the way up, just blows the flame out. That tells me that the reg is more than adequate for the burner. I, for the most part, do 60 min boils. Every now and then Ill do 90. I get 5-6 brews out of a 5 gal. tank. That includes heating up sparge water. Oh ya, my standard boil is 7.25 gal for 60 min or 8 gal for 90. The SQ14 does not have a wind screen, but a bit of tin foil around it works great. There is a thread some where that showed a peace of heating/cooling duct from Home Depot worked very well, but I could not find it. Maybe someone that remembers it will post a link. And last but not least, it comes in stainless for the ultimate bling factor:)

i have this unit it works great for me i have gotten mine all the way up and flames come halfway up my 9 gallon pot (i just wanted to see how it could do)

it does the trick for 8 gallon boils

Well I got the SQ14 let's see how it works, thanks for the advice everyone! I can't wait to get it through UPS and fire this bad boy up!

I bought an SP1 from ACE for $37, free shipping to a store. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure 185k BTUs will be plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to relight it twice on a very windy day, but it seems to be the burner of choice.
Comments:

1. I'm building a windscreen for it.

2. Holds keggle great.

3. Home Depot.com says that it has a 15psi regulator, even though it's clearly labeled on the outside of the package as having a 10psi regulator.

4. It blew itself out when turned up high.

5. get yourself a long stem lighter, you don't want to use matches.... *Licks wounds*

6. Extendo-feet are on my "to-buy" list. It's JUUUUUST short of being able to fit a 6gal bucket under my spigot....

7. Was able to do a handstand on top of the mostly full keggle, on top of the stand, that's like 250Lbs.?

8. Don't spend more than $64.

9. The burning paint smell isn't obviously burning paint... I thought it was a few other things at first...

10. No matter what burner you buy, you'll probably end up loving it.

I have one for my HLT, and its slow in my opinion. 10 gallons from tap to boil is over 1 hour. I don't use it for boiling, but it would work once to temp. It is easy on fuel, so there is a tradeoff.

Back