Synthetic corks a must for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making mead, but figured I would get more attention in the wine section since it's not just about what's in the bottle.

I do not have a wine rack or any other way to store bottles on the side (nor do I plan to any time soon). Does this mean I have to use synthetic corks?

Let me add that (like beer) - I'm making this to drink.

Likely nothing will age beyond the 3 year mark until I find a way to store on the side anyway.

If synthetic works for upright storage (and is the ONLY solution for upright storage from what I can tell) - I guess that's it for me.

I would probably go synthetic just because they are easier but I don't see what's so hard about storing them sideways.

1. Get bottle
2. Lay on side
3 That's it!

You have a couple of other options though. You can use crown caps which provide about as good a seal as synthetics. There have been times when I've run out of wine rack space and I just put the bottles in a cardboard wine box and lay it on its side.

I didn't think of just laying them in boxes on it's side, but I don't have the shelving room to lay individual bottles on their sides, so I will be putting in boxes and stacking them. I would imagine they're slightly stronger standing up than they are on the side.

I guess if it comes to having to lay them on the side, I can do that, I guess it's just that I prefer not having to do so if at all possible.

One piece of 1 x 10 x 8' and one piece of 1 x 10 x 6' will make an easy to build "X" box wine rack. Storing on the side is easy.

I lack the following items to do that:

1) Space
2) Skill

I'd buy one, but again the space issue is there but add in the money issue. It's not like I'm talking a batch or two - I love mead so much I plan to keep ~150-200 bottles on hand at any given time. :)

For the price of 5 bottles of mead and 15 minutes research online you could build a wine rack that would take up 2'x2' of floor space....

Anyway, I don't think synthetic corks are the way to go. If you need to stand them up, I would go with crown caps and wax them. As stated above, they will last just as long without oxidation.

Latest posts

Back