Help, turning into a beer snob!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avwfreak

Reaction score
I need help guys!

Ever since brewing my own, I find almost every brew out there on tap or in bottles to taste......not very good or just ok (I guess).

I snarl and make comments on almost every beer I drink with comments like; "I can brew better", "John's brew is so much better", "nothing beats homebrew", "I can't believe I am paying for this piss" etc...

No, I am not commenting on Bud or Coors. I only order "good" beers like Sierra Nevada, Guiness, Blue Moon and so on. Now my buddies are all busting my ass about being a snob!

I moved from Carlsbad where there was an awesome place called Pizza Port and they had some amazing brews! I just wish we had a brew pub. Sierra Nevada used to be very good until they went macro in my opinion and yes, they still have some decent brews at the taproom but, nothing that blows me off my feet.

What has happened to me!!!!?

?

I don't know. My homebrew is really starting to turn out consistently good, but I still buy good beers commercially and enjoy the heck out of them.

Maybe buy better beer?

:)

If you live in Chico, then there are some other breweries there that you might find interesting. Feather River brewing is good, as is Butte Creek. Sierra makes some crazy beers that never make it outside of Chico that are delicious. Try them all at the bars or in the taproom. Pizza Port makes great beers, it isn't often that you get a unique brewery right next to you.

I guess, what I was trying to say was

"Help me!!! I am becomming a beer snob!"

My friends are busting my balls about it...

I still drink lots of different bottled beers, and I really like a lot of them. I have been on a tasting spree since the first of the year, and have sampled 28 different beers. Some of those were average and some were outstanding.

Home brew is always pretty good, but I can't brew enough and frequently enough to satisfy my taste for variety in beers. My goal in 2009 is to sample at least 100 different beers, so I'm on my way. I think its probably good to know what bottled beers you like and don't like. There are a lot of great beers out there that I could not brew better myself, and I tend to purchase those more frequently...

I guess, what I was trying to say was

"Help me!!! I am becomming a beer snob!"

My friends are busting my balls about it...

Try some better beers. Everything you mentioned in the original post, Guiness and blue moon, (I like SN as a everyday beer that doesn't wow) are utter ****.

Hows that for busting your balls? :ban:

Just bring some pellet hops with you wherever you go and dry hop your bottles of Bud.

...did I mention I like hops.

Try some better beers. Everything you mentioned in the original post, Guiness and blue moon, (I like SN as a everyday beer that doesn't wow) are utter ****.

Hows that for busting your balls? :ban:

That's what I am talking about! Hehe! I know those aren't good beers hence why I put "good" in my statement about those beers. I guess I am talking about beers that society has deemed to be good beers and since I dont like them, I am a snob.

We all know the large domestics are junk but, if a buddy orders a Heineken, Stella Artois, Blue Moon, Guiness, or any other big name that is thought to be good. If I make a comment, that's when the name calling starts. :D

That's what I am talking about! Hehe! I know those aren't good beers hence why I put "good" in my statement about those beers. I guess I am talking about beers that society has deemed to be good beers and since I dont like them, I am a snob.

We all know the large domestics are junk but, if a buddy orders a Heineken, Stella Artois, Blue Moon, Guiness, or any other big name that is thought to be good. If I make a comment, that's when the name calling starts. :D

But they really aren't good. Hell they all taste damn near the same. Why pay $4 for something you can get for $1?

Plus places that don't serve good beer rarely clean their lines. Even ones that do are lazy about it. And that is one thing that can ruin any beer.

Just bring some pellet hops with you wherever you go and dry hop your bottles of Bud.

...did I mention I like hops.

That is a great idea! I might seriously do that as a joke next time we hit up a bar.

You may be snobbed out right now, but I think most people do after they begin brewing/exploring "snobby" beer styles. You know, the "hop-head phase" and the "Belgian phase" and stuff.

Eventually I think we all round out and settle in with our own tastes defined. Sometimes a palate-ravager sounds good, other times something mild and refreshing sounds nice, other times something full-bodied and malty sounds great.

It's all beer. It's all good. :tank:

You may be snobbed out right now, but I think most people do after they begin brewing/exploring "snobby" beer styles. You know, the "hop-head phase" and the "Belgian phase" and stuff.

Eventually I think we all round out and settle in with our own tastes defined. Sometimes a palate-ravager sounds good, other times something mild and refreshing sounds nice, other times something full-bodied and malty sounds great.

It's all beer. It's all good. :tank:
+1 on that comment.I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post.I'm feeling him though.It wasn't that long ago that I discovered beer that tasted good and I enjoyed the flavor of.It's an awakening of the senses.WOW, something I chugged and took for granted for years now has meaning to me!Still don't have a taste for weak assed pilsners though.:rockin:

I need to know what bike you're on?

The avatar is a zx600 on California 120. I also have a klr650 and an old suzuki 125 smoker. I've been looking at either ditching the klr (or maybe keeping it) and getting a ktm 690 or husky 610.

So when you go to a restaurant or bar, what beer do all of you beer snobs order? Let's say when you go to Applebee's and they have the normal big 3's, Shocktop, Sam and Sam Seasonal. I usually grab either a Sam or Miller Lite. I'm not going to stick up my nose to a beer and remain sober $#@! that!

So when you go to a restaurant or bar, what beer do all of you beer snobs order? Let's say when you go to Applebee's and they have the normal big 3's, Shocktop, Sam and Sam Seasonal. I usually grab either a Sam or Miller Lite. I'm not going to stick up my nose to a beer and remain sober $#@! that!

on the contrary, soda or water, whichever will go with the meal better.

mmmmmm KTM 690.
I race a 09 200XC-W. On the street I ride an 07 Triumph Tiger 1050.
Thread hi-jack complete

I must be a food snob too. I won't step foot in an Applebees. And I don't need beer all the time, so if I am at a place that has ****ty beer, I just don't drink.

I'm very blessed in my location that Stone IPA is on tap at a lot of places. If not though, Sierra Nevada or Fat Tire suits me just fine. Hell my favorite Taco Shop in town (hole in the wall grease-shack, delicious) only has Pacifico. I love a nice cold bottle of Pacifico with a greasy carnitas taco platter. Plus I can rinse out the gorgeous long-neck bottle and re-use it for my own brew.

I'm very blessed in my location that Stone IPA is on tap at a lot of places. If not though, Sierra Nevada or Fat Tire suits me just fine. Hell my favorite Taco Shop in town (hole in the wall grease-shack, delicious) only has Pacifico. I love a nice cold bottle of Pacifico with a greasy carnitas taco platter. Plus I can rinse out the gorgeous long-neck bottle and re-use it for my own brew.

You're in San Diego. You should be drinking the best beer ever all the time. :)

mmmmmm KTM 690.
I race a 09 200XC-W. On the street I ride an 07 Triumph Tiger 1050.
Thread hi-jack complete

almost complete... I was leaning towards the husky because it's more round the world worthy than the ktm. Read: more friendly at high and low speed, on pavement and off.

If you brew your own beer you will more than likely become a beer snob..unless you are a closet beer snob. Dont be a closet beer snob...Embrace your inner snob!

mmmm beer.... cold tasty beer.... What the Hell! ok...who peed in this bottle.... ooohh....never mind... it's just a macro brew...

Snob it up Homey! It's what home brewing is all about!

Where in SD are you? There's a looooot of great beer here.

North County. I'm a frequent patron at O'Brien's, PB Tap House, and Stone's fine beer garden to name a few. But also manage infrequent growler fills at Stone, Alesmith, and Ballast Point.

Doesn't mean I hold myself above anything else. I am possibly one of the few who started off my venture into the beer world as a high gravity high IBU drinker and over time have found myself regularly drinking very moderate gravity and enjoying any and all beers for what they are.

BTW carne, if I remember correctly I ran into you at Homebrew Mart last spring after I'd picked up my first kit off of craigslist and was shopping ingredients with my brother. You were measuring out an inordinate amount of grain for a multi-brew day.

North County. I'm a frequent patron at O'Brien's, PB Tap House, and Stone's fine beer garden to name a few. But also manage infrequent growler fills at Stone, Alesmith, and Ballast Point.

Doesn't mean I hold myself above anything else. I am possibly one of the few who started off my venture into the beer world as a high gravity high IBU drinker and over time have found myself regularly drinking very moderate gravity and enjoying any and all beers for what they are.

BTW carne, if I remember correctly I ran into you at Homebrew Mart last spring after I'd picked up my first kit off of craigslist and was shopping ingredients with my brother. You were measuring out an inordinate amount of grain for a multi-brew day.

That sounds like me, for sure. :) I've slowed down a bit because I am more interested in perfect technique than I am in quantity. And I spend a lot of time at Hamilton's, so I don't need to make as much beer.

^Agreed. Neither does it for me. We only buy Guinness for car bombs.

Aww...why would you diss Guinness? If poured correctly, it's got this creamy mouth feel that makes it a one-of-a-kind. I'm not sure if it's deserving of the "stout" label, but IMHO it's a tasty light beer.

I like good beer, but I don't consider myself a snob.
If I go to a party and it's byob I'll bring some home brew or craft beer that I feel like drinking, but if it's a party with kegs I'll drink what's there.
I went to a party this summer where they had a keg of yeungling and a keg of some kind of lite beer. A guy there was drinking cans of Bud. He tells me he only drinks Bud in cans out of the can that's it. So who's more of a snob me who likes a lot of different beers and will try most anything, or the guy who will only drink Bud from a can?

I like good beer, but I don't consider myself a snob.
If I go to a party and it's byob I'll bring some home brew or craft beer that I feel like drinking, but if it's a party with kegs I'll drink what's there.
I went to a party this summer where they had a keg of yeungling and a keg of some kind of lite beer. A guy there was drinking cans of Bud. He tells me he only drinks Bud in cans out of the can that's it. So who's more of a snob me who likes a lot of different beers and will try most anything, or the guy who will only drink Bud from a can?

+1

It's the snob who will only drink bud from a can. I have a friend who will not taste, I mean he will not even take a sip of beer if its not bud light or a heineken. SNOB!!

Its funny...since I started home brewing and learning about beer and its history I've actually been appreciating ole American lagers like Miller High Life and Bud. Don't get me wrong here. I still very much enjoy my home brew over any BMC. However, I have more respect for those brews than before I started home brewing. Its kind of weird.

Sounds like you are too far down the slippery slope already. The next stage: "I only drink IPAs."

Back