Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of this recipe I no longer buy commercially produced red ale! Getting ready to brew it again. Thanks for the recipe!

Ended up with a brewhouse efficiency of 65% & had to boil an extra 30-40mins to get to volume of 5.25g, but ended up at 1.054 OG.

I've been told the extra boil time will effect the bitterness, did I ruin it?

It depends on how you boiled. When you need to do this you should boil down to your pre-boil gravity BEFORE you add hops, then add the hops with 60 minutes left, or per the hop schedule for the recipe.

Was my first time wasn't sure how much I'd boil off... It'll be beer at least!

I rechecked everything, the place sent me 2oz of 7.5AA cascade - this brings me from 48 to 57 ibu. Hopefully it's not too bad, I lost all flavor & aroma I guess? I have an oz of centennial I can throw in as dry hop - bringing me further away from the real thing but maybe it'll salvage my mess up?

Ended up with a brewhouse efficiency of 65% & had to boil an extra 30-40mins to get to volume of 5.25g, but ended up at 1.054 OG.

I've been told the extra boil time will effect the bitterness, did I ruin it?

Was my first time wasn't sure how much I'd boil off... It'll be beer at least!

I rechecked everything, the place sent me 2oz of 7.5AA cascade - this brings me from 48 to 57 ibu. Hopefully it's not too bad, I lost all flavor & aroma I guess? I have an oz of centennial I can throw in as dry hop - bringing me further away from the real thing but maybe it'll salvage my mess up?

congrats you made beer!! dry hoping isn't needed. here's the details from the BJCP style guideline. "Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present)"

next time you'll know and do better. here's a tip. add 5 gallons of water to the kettle. bring it to a boil (you can get an idea how long it'll take).. boil for 60 minutes and then cool it. once cooled, measure how much water is left. that will give you a typical boil off rate that you can use for future calculations.

Going to be brewing this next weekend. I read all 49 pages of posts this afternoon ha! Really excited to get going on this! I've done an oatmeal stout extract brew from brewers best and have a gallon of honey mead fermenting as I type. I have a question about the amount of priming sugar used to bottle this. I'm doing a one gallon biab batch and was thinking about 1oz would be ok? Could
I also use priming tablets? And if so how many?

Thanks for the reassurance Mystic! Gonna let it ride & hope for the best & definitely try again once I have everything nailed down :)

here's an example of why you should let it ride... I recently planned a brew day to make a Belgian Dubbel. The Candi Syrup I made about a year earlier had started to crystallize so I was going to treat the 2lbs like I would honey that was doing the same thing. I put the jar into a pot of cold water and placed it on the stove on LOW heat. Normally this would be perfect in getting everything back to liquid form. I proceeded with my brew mashing the grains. Once the mash was finished I went to get the jar to add the syrup to the kettle.

As soon as I picked the jar up, the bottom broke and dumped the contents into the pot of water it was resting in. That meant the Dubbel was not going to happen. I switched gears and then planned a Belgian Pale Ale. My boil off that day was MUCH lower than what i had planned. I ended up with almost 7 gallons post boil (still trying to figure that one out). Since this was after I chilled there wasn't an option of boiling longer. Which meant I was looking at a 4.5% thin beer instead of a 6% pale or 7.5% Dubbel.

I could have dumped the entire thing and just called it a day. Instead I fermented it out. I took that keg of beer to a party last weekend. It was one of the better beers I've made. Easy drinking (4.5%abv), tons of malt flavor and yet balanced by the hops. All those that drank it loved it begging me to brew it again. sadly, since it was an accident I can't duplicate it.

point is.. if ya make a mistake, or if the brew day fall apart, let it ride and you might just be rewarded with your best beer yet...

WHOOT! Round 2 is fantastic!
Mystic, if you remember several pages ago (early December) I had a brew day disaster.
I had to try it again after reading pages and pages of everyone raving about this brew. What a test of patience!
Finally popped one of the 2nd batch. Worth the wait. This is definitely my go-to red ale recipe.
What a winner you shared! Thank you so much!

Does anyone have this loaded into Beersmith? The "Raging Red" recipe I found was completely different but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if it's already out there.

i only have 12 bottles left!.. re brew is needed a.s.a.p .. i have been told to enter this in a competition although i do not want to enter someones reciepe. so cheers and thanks again

has anyone tried a different hop than crystal for the first wort hop?

I know it changes the recipe but I don't have crystal hops. I was thinking of substituting willamette or ek goldings.

I just brewed it with the appropriate IBU of Hallertau, so I am hoping it will work out.

Would something like Warrior work for the bittering (60 min) addition, assuming I adjusted for AA? Also, anyobe have thoughts on using Carared instead of or in conjunction with Carafoam?

Got my shipment of ingredients for this recipe from Homebrew Warehouse today.
I've only brewed on my equipment one time with the help of my buddy who has been all grain brewing for about 4 years. On Sunday, this recipe will be my first solo at all grain(really first solo attempt at brewing in general) Wish me luck!

Would something like Warrior work for the bittering (60 min) addition, assuming I adjusted for AA? Also, anyobe have thoughts on using Carared instead of or in conjunction with Carafoam?

carafoam and carapils are interchangable... the hops in this recipe are not the star. any hop that gets you in the same IBU range and doesn't get used as a flavoring hop (should be no hops flavor), i.e. used for 30 mins or longer to boil off the flavor/aroma, will work.

Cool, thanks. i was asking about CaraRED in particular as it's recommended for a nice red color.
Also, 500 posts! And almost 100K views. Very popular thread (and beer, apparently!).

I just took a bottle into my lhbs to see what they had to say. Overall they really liked everything about it. Just over carb.. I still will bring this into competition which is coming up next month. Cheers

Got my shipment of ingredients for this recipe from Homebrew Warehouse today.
I've only brewed on my equipment one time with the help of my buddy who has been all grain brewing for about 4 years. On Sunday, this recipe will be my first solo at all grain(really first solo attempt at brewing in general) Wish me luck!

Good luck. If you use the WLP001 and make a starter, make sure you use a blow off. I wasn't originally, but I caught it in time. :cross:

REhoQwU.gif

Got some Denny's Favorite in the fridge I'm gonna use for my next batch should be able to boil by Tuesday

Cool, thanks. i was asking about CaraRED in particular as it's recommended for a nice red color.
Also, 500 posts! And almost 100K views. Very popular thread (and beer, apparently!).

I used Caraaroma and Melanoiden for the red color. trust me... it has plenty of red.

yeah.. seems this is one of the most popular Irish Reds... there's a reason for that :)

Just brewed this yesterday. I changed it up a little and it ended up much more brown than red. Any thoughts?

2.25 gal in to fermenter
4 lbs Pale 2 row
.5 lbs CaraAroma
.5 lbs CaraFoam
.25 lbs Melanoiden
4 oz Honey
.5 oz Crystal at 60 min
.25 oz Crystal at 15 min
1/2 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min

OG of 1.052 @ 60*F

I'm sure it will still turn into beer, but was hoping for more red. My mash temps were all over the place with new pot, and stovetop had a hard time keeping wort at a good boil. Took more like 90 min to get from 3.5 down to 2.5 gal. Bubbling nicely now in the brewdemon fermenter. What can I do next time for more red?

Just brewed this yesterday. I changed it up a little and it ended up much more brown than red. Any thoughts?

2.25 gal in to fermenter
4 lbs Pale 2 row
.5 lbs CaraAroma
.5 lbs CaraFoam
.25 lbs Melanoiden
4 oz Honey
.5 oz Crystal at 60 min
.25 oz Crystal at 15 min
1/2 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min

OG of 1.052 @ 60*F

I'm sure it will still turn into beer, but was hoping for more red. My mash temps were all over the place with new pot, and stovetop had a hard time keeping wort at a good boil. Took more like 90 min to get from 3.5 down to 2.5 gal. Bubbling nicely now in the brewdemon fermenter. What can I do next time for more red?

put a light behind it... you'll see the red

Brewed this on Sunday. This is my first all grain. Brew day went great can wait to give this a try.

Been on a break from brewing while I've been gathering my all grain equipment. Just kicked my last keg tonight its going to be a long 3 weeks

Pre-boil gravity sample looking and tasting good.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392579425.746950.jpg
LHBS didn't have California ale yeast, so I have to sub in San Diego super, but looking forward to this in about 4 weeks.

Just brewed this today as a one gallon batch! Started with 2 gallons and boiled of perfectly to one gallon. Added just a little bit more hops and a half an oz. more honey. Ended up with a 1.062 OG. Pitched my yeast starter and was fermenting in about 4 hours. Can't wait to get this into bottles!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing 10 gallons of this today. BIAB.

Had to change the recipe a bit because the LHBS didn't have Caraaroma; doubled the Melanoiden and added some Carared.

Fortunately, I finally found a local brewery (gotta love Eugene!), that gave me the caraaroma that I needed. I also chose to sub Maris Otter for the Pale Malt. I'll be tossing this on a Safale 05 yeast cake that just finished a light pale ale.

Thanks for the recipe!

Transferring to secondary today sample tasted delicious

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

1392932176996.jpg

Thinking of brewing a 13 gallon batch.
Fermenting 6 with wlp001. Delicious. proven.
Adding a pound or two more honey to another six and fermenting with wlp500 (trapping ale yeast).Thinking I t would be more of an irish/belgian dubbel

Last gallon I plan to ferment with some brett/bugs (wlp sour mix)

anyone have experience going Belgian With this Recipe?

Back