Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
17 bottles of Banana - Lavender Honey Melomel.

The lavender flavor dominated for almost its entire life (except the early stages of fermentation). But the banana is finally starting to emerge.

image.jpg

I did an apricot melomel. Just finishing backsweetning on apricots. The colour & clarity are amazing. Going to get it off the fruit today or tomorrow then let it clear a month or two before bottling.
Apricot.jpg
I have been saying this a lot lately, but I can't wait to try this one.

A simple mead with honey, water yeast nutrients, acid and tannin. Pardon the condensation on the bottles I bottled the mead (was trying an experiment with clearing).

Photo on 2013-09-17 at 9.24 PM.jpg

Having a sampler 3 oz from a New Glarus glass from the brewery- taster of an already opend viking blod. I dont think I can still handle its sweetness but its other wise good.Pretty shure it would be sweeter than doing shots of maple syrup and I think Ive done that before. Does have a nice buttery/appley cinnamonness about it. Im just not use to this high abv/sweetness I guess. Smells and tastes nice though. A lame interpretation of this may be apple pie on steriods. Im also interpereting this differntly today than when I first opened this.

Here's my first mead/melomel started 9/17/13.

Ingredients:
3.5lbs North Dakota/South Dakota clover honey
~1 Gallon tap water
1 Whole clove
Zest of one whole orange
Meat of one orange, excluding most of white pith
25 raisins
5 grams of Lalvin EC-1118

Starting gravity of 1.120

image-3846958209.jpg

I did an apricot melomel. Just finishing backsweetning on apricots. The colour & clarity are amazing. Going to get it off the fruit today or tomorrow then let it clear a month or two before bottling.I have been saying this a lot lately, but I can't wait to try this one.

That looks awesome! How many pounds of fruit did you use? Dried or fresh?

Hey all! My 2nd go at a Mead myself. My first is a 5 gallon in a secondary I started back in August. I started a JOAM shortly after for something that would be quicker and ready by mid October. A plan that has worked well. Only difference I made was I used EC-1118 as that is what I had on hand.

Bottled it tonight and it came out very nice.

Have definitely learned a lot from this forum and can't wait to post more in the future!

Carboy-JoesAncientOrangeMead_zps46a81f03.jpg

BottlesJoesAncientOrangeMead_zpscabff6a5.jpg

BottleJoesAncientOrangeMead_zps9e125351.jpg

From left to right:
-Meadowfoam Traditional
-Black Raspberry Melomel
-Vanilla Metheglin

ForumRunner_20130922_222409.png

first batch........ simple.. honey... spring water... yeast... and raisins.... first ferm for 3 weeks... second for another 3.... cleared pretty quickly .. sampled and tested.... sits about 13%...... dry but honey finish... already have another batch on .... love it

20130923_181814.jpg

Here are six of the seven meads I have made so far. Left to right: Traditional Mead (honey, water, yeast - but you all know that :); Colorado Peach (18% abv!); Bochet (was dark as night but after a year aging has turned very reddish, don't know why, love the color and clarity); Game of Thrones Mead - "Khaleesi's Capsumel (jalapeno peppers, dates, Colorado sourced honey); Lemon Grass Mead (very youing, simply traditional mead with several stalks of split lemongrass for three weeks in secondary); and a very old bottle of JAOM made with oranges, grapefruit, and raisins. Not shown, second batch of a Sparkling Hefe Mead, still in secondary (noble hops, fermented using Bavarian hefeweizen yeast).

MeadstoDate2.jpg

That looks awesome! How many pounds of fruit did you use? Dried or fresh?

Sorry, didn't see your post. I used canned fruit (7 lbs is all that would fit). I checked the ingredients and there was nothing freaky, just fruit and sugar water. I let the sugar water drain off before adding to the carboy. Left them in for 2 - 3 weeks and racked. It is bulk aging for a couple months before I bottle. It has a little haze now. I am hoping it will clear on its own or I will have to add some clearing agent.

Ginger peach melomel (Schramm's formula). Backsweetened to 1.014, will bottle in a month. Fresh North Georgia Loring Peaches!

ForumRunner_20131007_130839.jpg

This is the last bottle of mead from the only batch of mead I've made - It's ten years old. I'd like to make some more sometime.

EDIT: Looking back at my records, this was brewed January 18th, 2003...

DSCN0837.jpg

Still needs time to clear before I bottle it, but here is a honey dew mead....super sweet! Taste like honey dew melon!

image-3082674853.jpg

Tasmanian leatherwood honey traditional. 14%, 7 months old. I didn't have high hopes for this when I started, but it is AMAZING. Dry, strong floral aroma, resembles Concord grapes and elder flowers. Really amazing honey.

image-3313517468.jpg

Sorry, didn't see your post. I used canned fruit (7 lbs is all that would fit). I checked the ingredients and there was nothing freaky, just fruit and sugar water. I let the sugar water drain off before adding to the carboy. Left them in for 2 - 3 weeks and racked. It is bulk aging for a couple months before I bottle. It has a little haze now. I am hoping it will clear on its own or I will have to add some clearing agent.

Sweet, thanks!

Vanilla Chai Mead (has already seen some action ^^)

Melomel_VanilleChai_zpsce8fae94.jpg

Cherry Mead

Melomel_Kirsche_zpsfc5ddae2.jpg

Work in progress:

Banana mead (done fermenting, needs to age & clarify)

Apricot mead (2 days since start of fermentation)

Back