better compromise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Full boil without a wort chiller, or 2 gal boil on 5 gal batch?

You can do a full boil and chill in an ice bath. It takes a while and quite a bit of ice but can be done. If it is a kit designed for partial boil I would go that way.

I've been doing 2.5-3 gallon partial boils all the way up to partial mash biab. Still works very well indeed. about 2 more weeks till version1 of "hopped & Confused" goes into the fridge for a week. Got the malts about right,just changin the yeast for version2 next week.
Anyway,partial boils are very versatile. I'm still using the same set up I put together 2 years ago. I know that's not long for some folks here. But that's pretty good milage in anyone's book. I just added a bag for partial mash to that self same set up. Like my sig says,everything works if ya let it!...

If its a kit and calls for 2.5 gallon boil in the directions then do that. They have formulated that recipe so that the hops they use will be correctly utilized with that amount of water in the boil. If you do a larger boil it will throw them out of whack to what was intended. But invest in a wort chiller anyways, even for partial boils.

I've been kickin around the idea for a dual coil wort chiller. One coil in an ice cream bucket of ice in the right sink side,BK with the other coil left sink. Water from tap into the right coil,out on the left. Set the BK on a trivet so as not to block sink drain. Quicker chill even in summer. that'd cut off a little time for me,& have to buy a lot less ice. Small bag vs 22lb bag.

unionrdr said:
I've been kickin around the idea for a dual coil wort chiller. One coil in an ice cream bucket of ice in the right sink side,BK with the other coil left sink. Water from tap into the right coil,out on the left. Set the BK on a trivet so as not to block sink drain. Quicker chill even in summer. that'd cut off a little time for me,& have to buy a lot less ice. Small bag vs 22lb bag.

This is just my opinion but I think the water passes through the chilled IC too fast to really get that cold.

Used an immersion chiller for the first time yesterday (borrowed a friend's) and was really surprised at how efficient it was. Went from boil temp down to about 80 in 15 minutes. I put it into a cold water bath in the sink to let it cool down to a final 65-70. I'll be investing in a chiller ASAP. Sure beats waiting forever and spending dough on bags of ice to cool.

Hmmm...I never had a wort chiller,but maybe a pre chill of that coil for a few minutes would help? Tryin to use some imagineering here like I did at ford with there machines...no heart or soul,but at least we're machines...more of us than there is of them...they can't stop the beer machine...stop the machine..machinemachinemachine...:rockin:

The chiller I used has an "inner" and an "outer" coil to it (probably 50ft length total). I put it into my kettle during the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize it. Then I took the whole thing outside and hooked it up to the garden hose and let the water run through it. Like I said, only took about 15 minutes to go from 200+ to 80. Not bad. I don't know that "pre-chilling" it would make much difference. What I think would is the length of the coil total. A lot of chillers I've seen are only 25'. If you have a longer length (and therefore more coils immersed and more surface area) you will be able to cool much faster.

Hmmm,good point on total surface area. Was thinkin of summer tap water temps. Sounds like you have a counter flow chiller. Tube inside a hose kinda thing.

Here's a picture of the chiller that shows what I meant by "inner" and "outer" coils.

2013-02-02 11.30.34.jpg

Ok,I see what you mean. I thought you meant the copper tubing inside the hose kind. This looks like a modification of the rib cage style cooler I saw on youtube. Immo I think did it. More surface area within the same space.

Yeah, this is the design I'm going to use to make my own chiller. Seems to work quite well. And 50' lengths of copper seem to be the most common to find.

used an immersion chiller for the first time yesterday (borrowed a friend's) and was really surprised at how efficient it was. Went from boil temp down to about 80 in 15 minutes. I put it into a cold water bath in the sink to let it cool down to a final 65-70. I'll be investing in a chiller asap. Sure beats waiting forever and spending dough on bags of ice to cool.

+1

Latest posts

Back