Random idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
So I've bottled my beer and when I looked at it in the light I see a small amount of floating stuff..hops sludge from the bottom? Or yeast? Whatever it is, I know I probably messed up with the siphon. I put it too far in the bucket..DOH!!

But when It comes time to open it up in a month is there anyway I can pour the beer over the nylon sock slowly into one bottle or cup and catch the remaining floating stuff and not ruin the taste of the beer? Just throwing an idea out there

Most of it will settle once you chill them for a few days. The longer the chill, the more will settle. Just pour carefully. Drink whatever chunks came out, they wont hurt ya!!

But to answer your question, you can pour your beer through whatever you want. I imagine it will really aerate alot and will probably foam like crazy though.

if you just bottled your beer within the last couple of days there is fermentation going on inside them. this will put remnant hop residue and yeast in suspension. you are always going to have some particles in any beer that is not filtered and more often than not even more in bottle conditioned beer. the good news is, when you refrigerate the beer before you crack one open most of those particles will fall out of suspension and when you pour a glass just leave a little bit behind.

All that stuff will sink. Just pour slowly, watch the beer through the glass as it pours, and stop pouring when the little swirl of floaties approaches the neck. You'll lose maybe a tablespoon of beer, but that's just part of the bottle conditioning process.

You can drink it, too. It won't hurt ya, but might make you a little fartsy. Cheers!

But when It comes time to open it up in a month is there anyway I can pour the beer over the nylon sock slowly into one bottle or cup and catch the remaining floating stuff and not ruin the taste of the beer? Just throwing an idea out there

You can do it.
It won't make a bit of difference in the taste of your beer, since your beer has been sitting on it since day one.

But I would highly recommend not doing it in front of someone who has never tried a homebrew before.
It would seriously make me hesitant to try your beer if you did that in front of me.

Back