What equipment shd i get-newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAKEBOY

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am brand spanking new to brewing, at the moment i don`t have any eqipment but i have saved about $200.Can anybody help me with pointing me to the right direction as to what simple equipment i could use to start up and teach myself,Also bear in mind i live in an small two bedroomed apartment so space a bit of an issue.So if you have any suggestions, i would appreciate as i am eager to start my first batch.

Are you located anywhere near a homebrew supply store (HBS)? IMO, your best move is to go by one and see what kind of kit they can recommend to fit your budget/space. You'll be able to see/handle everything in person, get advice, and make sure you leave the store with everything you need to make your first batch.

ZAKEBOY said:
Hi everyone i am brand spanking new to brewing, at the moment i don`t have any eqipment but i have saved about $200.Can anybody help me with pointing me to the right direction

for 40 bucks you can get a 5.5 gallon kettle at walmart, which is a good size for extract/partial mash brewing. it is thick stainless steel, with a sandwiched bottom that has copper in the middle, and a glass lid. its way nicer than the cheap kettles ive seen at hbs shops.

I would go with a starter kit that should run $50-75, and pick up a decent brewpot. whatever's left, hold onto until you decide what you like and don't like, and spend your money there.

welcome to the addiction!

You should start with extract brewing. You can get kits for around 60$ that will give you everything you need. From there its only around 20$ for every batch which will do a bit over 60 beers.

Starter kits are the best way to go. Your looking for something like this:
http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,9466.htm

This is a pretty complete kit. I cant recal but there are net sites that has free shipping too if you need to order it. This kit has a secondary and if your getting a kit you might as well get one with a secondary (when you add up all the stuff in this kit your come up with something well over what they are charging for the kit).

One thing that you want is a good book. The little book that is in this kit is real basic... very basic and your going to want more. "The joy of homebrewing" (often called 'The bible') or "How to brew" are both very complete books. There is a section that talks about different books people like here.

The only other thing you are going to need outside of ingrediants is a brewpot. cgravier mentioned Wallmart having one for 40 bucks. Homebrew places have pots, but they are generally the expensive ones that you realy dont need now (this is certainly not cast in stone... your homebrew place could have one of the same ones for 40.. I would not spend too much more then 40 though). The most important thing is to get one big enough. 5-5.5 galons is what your looking for here. I've been using the same el-cheapo pot for probably close to 10 years by now.

Just a little bit of advice, if you plan on getting an immersion chiller, make it instead of buying. You can easily pick up the copper tubing and all the supplies to make a quality chiller at any home improvement store. I think mine cost me 15 bucks or so. Very easy to make.

Atticmonkey said:
Just a little bit of advice, if you plan on getting an immersion chiller, make it instead of buying. You can easily pick up the copper tubing and all the supplies to make a quality chiller at any home improvement store. I think mine cost me 15 bucks or so. Very easy to make.

That goes for a few things incidently. The book "Brew Ware" has a ton of stuff that can be made for a fraction of what they are charging you at the stores.

I started with a kit, it was about 50 bux, and had an extract recipe to follow. Made a good beer, and started me down the road. The kits can be a one or 2 bucket job. There are a bunch of websites if you don't have a HBS close by. You will need a brewpot. Something about 3 gallons will do, but you'll need a bigger one eventually. Get it now. A good stir spoon, would help as it keeps your hands out of the mess. Sanitizer...above all, a good sanitizer. Nothing will stall the addiction faster than a ruined batch due to bad germs. There are different names like One Step, or others. Check websites and the local HBS. And above all else, have a good time. Relax, follow directions, and you'll be hooked in no time at all. BTW, don't be afraid to share with your buddies, they'll think it's great knowing a guy who makes his own brew. Lastly, Welcome to the forum, there is SO much info here, and folks to help.

Back