First in the keg, second just brewed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc5md

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty happy with my weekend! First batch transferred to the keg and carbing right now. Cleaned out the fermentation bucket and brewed a second batch. It went much more smoothly than the first batch.
Only thing I screwed up was not getting an OG. I realized it right after I pitched the yeast. So, I grabbed my hydrometer, turkey baster and hydrometer tube, threw them in the starsan bucket. I took a sample, but there was so much foam from my aerating, that it was useless. Good thing it was extract- hard to miss OG.
Hooked up my fridge to my STC-1000 controller I built, and into the ferm chamber it went. Holding temp very nicely!
A great weekend!!
Thanks for a great site!
:mug:

That sounds quite techy for just a couple brews- you know what you want! I was happy making a simple ales for my first few brews without a hydrometer, temperature control, kegging, or overlapping brews. More power to ya!

I probably would have not started so 'into it' but I had a lot of the equipment given to me! :) Kegs, fridges, brewpot, CO2 cylinder, regulator...
I was very lucky.

Sounds awesome.. Just put my first extract kit into primary on friday, by Sunday I was sick of the swamp bucket and build a son of fermentation chiller. Looking into the STC-1000,how hard was the wiring on it? A little hesitant to play around with a 110v main, as my only personal experience has been with stuff 12v and lower (computer guy here).

What'd you make?

Sounds awesome.. Just put my first extract kit into primary on friday, by Sunday I was sick of the swamp bucket and build a son of fermentation chiller. Looking into the STC-1000,how hard was the wiring on it? A little hesitant to play around with a 110v main, as my only personal experience has been with stuff 12v and lower (computer guy here).

What'd you make?

I made a Belgian pale from northen brewer. The patesbier. The stc-1000 is super simple to wire. Granted, I have a lot of electrical experience. But it really is quite easy. I wired in a constant power outlet, the controller, the outlets for heating and cooling, and a switch to kill power to the controller since I don't need it running all the time and didn't want to have to unplug it. There are also lots of wiring diagrams online, but if you need one drawn up for something specific you are doing, let us know. One of us is sure to be able to help.
Enjoy!

Thanks. I'm waffling back and forth, and I think I settled on making my own controller out of a raspberry pi and a few ssr's, that way I get logging and remote control and alerts and all that jazz.

Thanks. I'm waffling back and forth, and I think I settled on making my own controller out of a raspberry pi and a few ssr's, that way I get logging and remote control and alerts and all that jazz.

If you're into computer stuff, you should totally do it yourself this way with the alarms!

Back