Fusion of the Spine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
After a couple years of pain, pain, PAIN, I finally went to the doctor and he told me I'm getting a fusion at L4-L5 and a disctectomy at L5-S1. I told him after this I better not see him for twenty years.....

Anybody have this (or similiar) done and what can I expect?

The only bennie I can see is pharmacutical drugs for a few weeks and lots of time to brew after the first month.

I would think that brewing would be difficult during your time off. Even with pumps, there seems to be quite a bit of lifting involved in the hobby and you should probably be aiming to avoid that.

Good luck with that; doesn't sound like fun at all.

See a Chiropractor and Acupuncture therapist first , I had a "doctor " / "neuro-surgeon" who wanted to chop on me after a car accident about 13 years ago. I gave the bastage the finger and went old school. 2 months of massage therapy / acupuncture / acupressure & chiropractic work and I'm A -OK. Considering that I'm a blacksmith, Heavy lifting and large hammers are my daily bread , My "portable "anvil weighs 153 lbs... I don't even take Advil anymore. If I would have went with my "Doctor " I would have a 50% chance of being in a wheel chair today and no guarantees on living either... Get a 2nd 3rd & 4th professional opinion before you go under the knife !!!

Jens

I've known several people who have had fusions done, including my father and brother. Both were fairly successful, but it takes several months for the bone growth to really get solid.

I also know one woman who took the Chiropractic route and ended up in a wheelchair. She finally got the fusion done and gets around with a cane.

So far, my back hasn't gotten too bad and I've gotten by with chiropractic and TENS.

Oakwoodforge said:
See a Chiropractor and Acupuncture therapist first , I had a "doctor " / "neuro-surgeon" who wanted to chop on me after a car accident about 13 years ago. I gave the bastage the finger and went old school. 2 months of massage therapy / acupuncture / acupressure & chiropractic work and I'm A -OK. Considering that I'm a blacksmith, Heavy lifting and large hammers are my daily bread , My "portable "anvil weighs 153 lbs... I don't even take Advil anymore. If I would have went with my "Doctor " I would have a 50% chance of being in a wheel chair today and no guarantees on living either... Get a 2nd 3rd & 4th professional opinion before you go under the knife !!!

Jens

I had my first acupuncture treatment a few weeks ago to aleve an aching back. I was tired of the stonieness of vicodine. The acupuncture doesn't hurt at all and I felt much better after the treatment and my back recovered much faster than usual. Even if you're skeptical of it, try it one day instead of drugs. When you're brewing again in another week or two, remember to post a thank you for the advice.

I have no personal experience with major back injuries. One of our weapons masters had some serious back issues though. A few different docs told him they wanted to do some sort of surgery and he had like a 50/50 prognosis. He didn't really like those odds so he started stretching really well every day with yoga.

He's now just fine and the doctors don't believe it. I would definitely check out accupuncture and/or a chiropractor and see what happens.

Back