Low cost/experimental GF recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
A friend of mines fiance has been having trouble with horrible hangovers after just 2 or 3 beers, she doesnt have the same problem with liquor. She has family with Celiacs and we have been wondering if that may be whats causing her discomfort. She wants to try a gluten free to see if that helps but having no experience with them I dont know any commercial examples. She is kind of a "girly" beer drinker but Im having trouble finding a recipe for her.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

You should be able to at least find Redbridge at a store, it's a gluten-free beer made by Anheuser-Busch!

How many gallons are you looking to brew?

The closest store that carries red bridge is 2 hours away. I was thinking just 2 or 2 1/2 gallons

A small batch would be tough, as sorghum syrup tends to be sold in jars of 5 lb or more. On the plus side, sorghum ferments out sweet, so it would be a good base for a fruit beer.

Well if its something that she likes and it works for her I would probably be brewing more for her if not then I'm sure that I could find some use for it

Alright, 2 gallons, cheap, light and fruity...here we go:

Malt bill:
2 lbs rice syrup (Briess) at 60 min
1.5 lbs honey at flame-out (I suggest honey from a fruit source, orange blossom or berry honey would be good; make sure it's raw and grade B if possible)
2 oz maltodextrin whenever (it really doesn't matter)
irish moss/whirlfloc at 15 min

Hops:
0.4 oz amarillo at 60
1 oz amarillo at flame-out
(feel free to sub ahtanum, cascade, galaxy, or citra for the amarillo, adjusting to keep the IBUs down around 25-26).

Yeast: Fermentis S-04; use T-58 if you want to get some mild belgian character, use S-33 if you want higher attenuation and a little buttery touch, use US-05 if you want no flavor contribution from the yeast.

This should give you what you're looking for. If you want to get a little fancier, sub in some palm sugar for some of the honey. Good luck!

Ok, so im seeing either rice syrup solids or sorgum syrup, does it matter which? Or am I searching for the wrong thing at the shop?

Where are you located? Some of the guys have reported success using the rice syrup from the whole foods or natural places as well... Not as good as the briess i guess but works...

You can get away with the rice solids...I use those from time to time and I've had fine results. The Briess High-Maltose 45DE rice syrup is the best, though...but it's harder to find. You'd have to go online, probably. The Lundberg stuff from Whole Foods I've found to ferment out drier than the Briess.

Back