Hop substitution for Nugget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
I am looking at the hop chart trying to find a good substitution for Nugget as the lhbs is out. I am thinking maybe Chinook? I just don't feel like making a 45min to hour round trip to another store just to spend a couple bucks.

http://hopschart.com/zoom.html

So if Nugget can be subbed for Chinook why can't Chinook be subbed for Nugget?

So if Nugget can be subbed for Chinook why can't Chinook be subbed for Nugget?

You can, but just for bittering (which is mostly what Chinook is used for). They have very different flavor/aroma profiles.

Which add(s) are you thinking about?

Nugget is not citrusy or grapefruity like Chinook. Nugget is herbaceous and peachy. For a flavor match, you want a hop with stone fruit focus, like Glacier or Palisades. Problem is, their AA% are way less than Nugget and they can also be fruitier with less herbal focus. So a blend of US Northern Brewer + Glacier or Palisades would probably be your best bet. I wouldn't worry about an exact substitution though. Where are you planning on using it in the boil and how much?

You can use just about any high-alpha bittering hop at that point. All of the flavor and aroma oils will be driven off.

Back