Right Yeast Type Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Hi, friends;

I am thinking of making Dead Squirrel's Strawberry Cider recipe. I don't have champagne yeast, unfortunately. I know other yeast will make it more sweet, etc. Thought I would type the recipe and get your thoughts on which yeast, if any, I should pitch if I do this this weekend:

3 lbs frozen strawberries
2 lbs dark brown sugar
2 lbs clover honey
5 gal cider

Here are my yeast choices:
Red Star Active Dry Wine Yeast - 5 grams
Lalvin EC-1118 Wine Yeast - 5 grams
Morgan's Lager yeast - 6 grams
Nottingham Brewing Yeast - 11g
Fermentis Dry Ale Yeast Saflager-23, 11.5 g
Cooper's Ale - 7g

hehe, there ya go. opinions?

Lalvin EC-1118 Wine Yeast - 5 grams

With the sugar load this has, a wine yeast is best. Plan on a major blowoff and clogging problems from the strawberry seeds. I'd be tempted to pitch 10 grams or make a starter.

Alright, searching the threads right now for a definition of starter. . .can't find it yet. . .throw me a bone? :)

never mind, found the discussion on yeast starter. Not sure if I want to use DME, however, since I am doing cider. Interesting

I think you could just use a small amount of cider and some sugar or honey and be in good shape. You want to make your starter with the same stuff you'll be fermenting.

Got it, saw that on a few other sites last night while I was searching. Making the starter with the juice/cider in the first place. Excellent. . .after reading around, however, might use the nottinhams yeast I have.

Yeah, I made a pretty similar cider with that yeast and it turned out extremely dry and strong. I like the strong but I've heard the ale yeast will make it sweeter.

I'm going to use nottingham for my next cider. I've heard good things about using that yeast for cider. I used ec1118 on the last batch and just bottled it yesterday, but it was very dry. The next bactch I want a little more sweetness to it, though I don't like realy sweet cider, so the notingham will hopefully be about right.

Back