DIY - Adding another tower faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
Here is the scoop:

I am trying to find out if anyone has ever cut another hole in their stainless tower for adding another faucet. Currently I have a KC dual tap tower and I am considering cutting a third hole in it so I can make it a three faucet tower.

I was considering going the greenlee punch method becuase the tower is fairly curved. I think drilling with a step bit may be a challenge.

1. Has anyone done this successfully?
2. Do you know the size needed for the hole? (15/16 or 1'')

This would be a great way to cut some cost out for people who would like to expand their towers from one, to two or three.

Thanks!

It looks like you could get a 1 inch punch, drill your pilot hole and then bam. But I am just looking at radio/chassis punches and trying to decide to buy the 1'' or the 15/16''. This would be a great way to upgrade for me. Also it would save me some coin if I could do it to two dual towers!

Would make a dual tower from KC to a three:

dual tower $189.95
Shank hardware $23
Perlick 575ss $36
------------------
$248.99 vs. $311.95 if you buy the tower.

Only part that sucks is, the greenlee punch is $$

I can't image it would be that hard to center punch it, pre drill it with a 1/8" standard drill bit, then bore it out with a step bit.

But I don't have any experience with a step bit so I don't know how they react to curved surfaces. I would definitly blue tape the area so the shavings don't scratch the pretty finish on the stainless.

But I don't have any experience with a step bit so I don't know how they react to curved surfaces. I would definitly blue tape the area so the shavings don't scratch the pretty finish on the stainless.

The curved surface is what concerns me.

Outside - I saw those, but for the cost to ship and get one out, I could by a greenlee and potentially cut out two more taps (if I buy another dual tower). Cost wise it would save a fair amount with two holes. Even better if I can borrow a greenlee from somewhere.

Obviously if I screw it up I am in trouble, but I don't see why the greenlee wouldn't work here.

All in all if I did this successfully to two towers it would save me $126, less the cost of the greenlee (say $50)

You can always drill your pilot hole, then use the step bit to try and do a couple steps. If it works keep going, if it doesn't, mark the hole needed with a sharpy and bust out the dremel.

is there a greenlee punch for curved surfaces? I know they make different shapes, but I never saw one for anything but a flat surface. I've seen plumbers use a hole saw to cut into pipe, so I don't see how this would be different than drilling into a tower.

my buddy and i did this to a single faucet tower and turned it into a 3 faucet tower. works fine. just get the right drill bit.

plenty of room.

my buddy and i did this to a single faucet tower and turned it into a 3 faucet tower. works fine. just get the right drill bit.

plenty of room.

you had a stainless tower? With a step bit?

Do you remember the hole size?

is there a greenlee punch for curved surfaces? I know they make different shapes, but I never saw one for anything but a flat surface. I've seen plumbers use a hole saw to cut into pipe, so I don't see how this would be different than drilling into a tower.

the greenlees are actually easier to use on curves surfaces. The cutting edge isn't straight on, it is two ovular sort of points. So when you put your pilot hole in, you have to hold the cutting edge stable until you bite into the stock.

Ok, if you've done it, then you'd know better than me. I was worried about the cup. I'd hate to have that cup bend the curve of the tower.

Why not just use a metal holesaw like you would on a Keggle? Alot cheaper than a greenlee.

Easy to do, I've added 2 to my original single faucet tower. I marked with a Sharpie, then Uni-bitted to something like 3/4", plus or minus.

Something to keep in mind: while there's tons of extra room for the shanks and lines, there's not so much room when it comes to attaching everything. Think about how you're going to get at all these shanks before final layout. I wish I'd have placed a little different. Kyle

Back