SWMBO hybrid recipe critique honey,oat,wheat etc..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am trying to come with a relatively cheap to produce, easy to drink, easy on the palate ale to keep on tap all the time. Personally I love IPA's, APA's, etc..etc... but for some of my friends and even my wife, beers like kolsch are even to "distinctive" for them to drink. I know......it sucks.

So I am thinking of making something highly attenuated, with notes of honey and virtually no hop character for my wife and friends. Here is what I am thinking

3 pounds pilsen
3 pounds two row
2 pounds wheat
1 pound honey malt
1 pound table sugar
14 IBU of whatever
no finishing hops

I have pacman, , WLP001, WLP007 and WLP500 all on my radar for this one.

I am thinking that 500 fermented about 72 might give a nice fruitiness.....but I also know that WLP001 or pacman will really, really attenuate it and leave it clean.

I'm not quite sure on the grain bill, but it sounds fairly close to what I was doing with the batch I just brewed (to be exact, I have not worked with wheat yet).

I would suggest honey vs. sugar (ferments out dry, gives nice aroma) and WLP 550 vs. 500.

I think the 550 is more the "all-purpose" Belgian ale yeast with a different fruit profile than 500. I'm also a big fan of Pacman :)

Noble hopes are nice. I had wanted to work with the French Strisselspalt hops but didn't want to wait on shipping.

Sounds like it could be a nice house brew.

Have you tried a cream ale? Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops" might be just the ticket. I made something very similar, and my light beer drinking family kicked a keg in one day.

I do NOT like wheat in beer, but I like corn and rice as adjuncts.

Why mix pils and 2-row ? Had to get rid of both ? If not, I would just stick with only base malt for simplicity and price sake.

What I would do (and what I'm going to do along the road), is 2-row and one type of light crystal, such as 40, just to have something that isn't bland but that can be enjoyed by newbie to craft brewing.

The cream ale could work, but you have to buy adjuncts. With a blonde ale that just uses some crystal, you can use leftovers from other recipes.

I was using some pilsen malt because it can give a nice malt profile to the beer, it gives that familiar "beer" taste that some folks are familiar with from drinking BMC......

The more I think I may just go all pils...

6-7# pils
.25 # C20
.25 # honey malt
1 pound clover honey
pacman fermented cool.......I bet this would be good.

Back