Blow out while traveling - consequences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md20_20

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am away from home on business and have just learned that I have my first honest-to-goodness blow out. SWMBO called this morning as she was on her way to work to report that the stopper was completely blown out of my carboy. Luckily the mess is contained because I have an old chest freezer that I use for fermentation temperature control.

My question is this: given that this may have happened two days ago, and that I won't be able to do anything about it until tomorrow evening, what are the chances that the remaining beer will be any good?

You'll probably be fine, the beer has CO2 in solution that will come out and hopefully put a protective barrier over your beer.

I think you'll be just fine, if it is in a chest freezer it's not only got a blanket of Co2 over the beer... the whole freezer will be full of Co2 since it is heavier than air. Also nothing will be falling in it since it is covered by the lid.

I'd ask your wife to clean and sanitize the airlock and put it back on, but that probably isn't even necessary.

A followup, and a thank you to Conpewter and MikeG.

I got home and examined the mess, and it didn't look as bad as I had imagined it might, so I crossed my fingers and left it alone (after covering it again).

Today I racked it to secondary (mostly because I couldn't stand thinking about the crud-covered bottle any more) and took a sample. The gravity was good, as was the flavor, and I didn't see anything nasty in the beer so I think it's OK.

Thanks for the calm advice, folks! :mug:

I was expecting some sort of automobile carnage,

But your Brew should be fine, you are still in active fermentation and the yeast is actively producing CO2 it should provide a barrier against any nasties.

Along with it all being in a sealed container (chest freezer), is not hurting your chances either.

-Jason

I too was expecting a "moving my carboy in the car and boom, hissss, beer shower".
Glad it was as tame as it was, and 99.999 percent of the time it will be fine.
Now, clean that primary and start another batch.

Back