So my friend owns a microbrewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
and I have access to all the yeast I could need. He passed on a pint of pure fresh US-05 slurry today. How long can this last if I keep it refrigerated at about 38*F? There is only about a 1/4" of beer on top and the rest is just creamy goodness.:ban:

There has been much written on this subject and opinions will vary from a week to a year.
I have read reports of yeast stored like this for nearly a year firing up ok in a starter.
I regularly use yeast over 3 mths old.

Thanks. If I were to be able to use this within the week, should I decant and pitch the entire pint?

Thanks. If I were to be able to use this within the week, should I decant and pitch the entire pint?

Can you post a picture on how it looks? If you are saying 3/4 of the pint is yeast, that is way too much, unless you are doing a 15 gallon batch :)

Also go here, click on the slurry tab, put in your expected gravity, etc. That will tell you how many ml of slurry you need.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

mblanks2 said:

6-10 weeks is fine, I'd pitch the whole thing!

The sooner the better. The viability of the yeast will diminish over time. I have used a slurry hat has been over 4 months old aand it took off on my stirplate almost immediately. It was wlp001.

6-10 weeks is fine, I'd pitch the whole thing!

Depends on the brew size. That would be way too much for 5 gallons if it's 3/4 full of solid yeast. We need to see a picture of it, after it's been in the fridge for a day or two.

jflongo said:
Depends on the brew size. That would be way too much for 5 gallons if it's 3/4 full of solid yeast. We need to see a picture of it, after it's been in the fridge for a day or two.

Not necessarily...

Nice connection, btw.

I'm also curious about their rationale for a dry yeast. I've seen than debated before over at pro brewer.

If you have access to all the yeast you need, why is it necessary to store it for any period of time?

I wondered that too. :D

If you have an extra mason/ball jar handy, you can split that pint of US-05 slurry into two and cover each with sterilized/chilled water for better storage dormancy.

Even 1/2 of a pint jar will be plenty if used within the next month or two. If it were a lager, I'd be inclined to pitch the whole pint even though that might still be somewhat of an overpitch.

If you have access to all the yeast you need, why is it necessary to store it for any period of time?

I was given the jar yesterday and was mainly curious of how long I could store it before I brew. I just wasn't sure if would diminish over a few days or weeks.

If you have an extra mason/ball jar handy, you can split that pint of US-05 slurry into two and cover each with sterilized/chilled water for better storage dormancy.

Even 1/2 of a pint jar will be plenty if used within the next month or two. If it were a lager, I'd be inclined to pitch the whole pint even though that might still be somewhat of an overpitch.

After 24 hours in the frig it is now showing a little more beer on top. I currently have 225ml of cream colored slurry. Sorry no pics and haven't looked into how to do that yet.

I'm also curious about their rationale for a dry yeast. I've seen than debated before over at pro brewer.

Can't answer that, but I can say that his beer is awesome and the brewery has only been open for about two months and is growing at an exponential rate. He currently has three labels and will have seven at completion. It is and awesome set-up.

Mr Malty is your friend. Please don't pitch the whole pint...

Thanks, I have used Mr. Malty before but hadn't noticed the tab for slurry. Looks like I'll be needing 86ml of the slurry I have. Thanks again.

Back