Thinking of going GF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondavis08

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, like many of you I'm a huge beer guy and would be classified as a beer snob. I've wanted to go gluten free for sometime and the only thing that has kept me from making the plunge is my love for beer. However I brew and what a great reason to prove to myself(and my wife) that all my equipment I've purchased is good for my health and helped me go GF!:ban:

With that being said I'm going to the Homebrew community to see what GF recipes have you made and truly enjoyed the beer. I like all styles but I'd said anything Hoppy is my favorite. My set up can handle 10 Gallon All Grain batches.

Thanks!

Well, like many of you I'm a huge beer guy and would be classified as a beer snob. I've wanted to go gluten free for sometime and the only thing that has kept me from making the plunge is my love for beer. However I brew and what a great reason to prove to myself(and my wife) that all my equipment I've purchased is good for my health and helped me go GF!:ban:

With that being said I'm going to the Homebrew community to see what GF recipes have you made and truly enjoyed the beer. I like all styles but I'd said anything Hoppy is my favorite. My set up can handle 10 Gallon All Grain batches.

Thanks!

I hate sorghum beer, so I went for millet and am really liking what I'm making. The trick is getting malted millet.

I malted my own and made a simple pale ale that I absolutely love.

I have only ever tried one sorghum beer, as we don't get it that much over here. Or what we do is in flour form, and is more money than I can be bothered to spend. I use buckwheat. I malt and roast my own. I have found that roasting it like you would a crystal malt tends to get rid of the nutty flavour that it can give off. Mix it with some brown sugar, honey and British and German hops, and you have yourself a killer beer.

I do have a question though. Why would you purposefully choose to have a gluten free diet if you don't have to? I have found that in my 26 years as being Coeliac, that other than the increased amount of meat I eat in order to fill me up where wheat based carbs normally would, it sucks. Though in all fairness it has improved since I was diagnosed as a baby. Not trying to sound like a dick, just asking.

I have the same question as Ash. Are you implying that a gluten free diet is healthier than one containing gluten? Clearly if you have an allergy or disease which limits your gluten intake it would be...

The only GF things I've made have been ciders (obviously). Other than sorghum, I googled and found the following adjuncts can be used in GF brewing:

Amaranth
Buckwheat
Corn
Millet
Montina (Indian rice grass)
Oats
Quinoa
Rice (white/brown)
Teff
Wild rice

All grain gluten free is quite a challenge--not that it can't be done. But you are looking at some big time decoction mashing and purchasing expensive grains in bulk. Not that it can't be done but all grain GF is the white whale on here, or so it seems.

That being said, if you like hoppy beers then you are definitely going to be okay. GF homebrew lends itself much more better to hoppy beers because we don't have access to multiple DME and LME--you are basically looking at sorghu, brown rice syrup and tapioca syrup. But you can make good beers, especially if you use lots of hops and utilize the adjuncts: honey, candi syrups, molasses, brown sugar, fruits.

Grapefruit IPA is probably my favorite one I have brewed.
First Date Dunkel is the favorite of my friends that I have brewed.
No-nonsense stout seems popular--I haven't made it.

Back