my interpertation of the common room ESB.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkm11b

Reaction score
got the idea from the common room ESB that is posted on this site (i cant remember the author/brewers name for the life of me...kingbrian1???) so i headed down to my lhbs, and because it is a pretty epic shop, i was able to get all the traditional sounding ingredieants.

9lbs MO
.75lbs british dark crystal (simpson) 75l
.25lbs british light crystal 35l
srm 11
.5oz magnum 60 minutes
1oz fuggles 10 minutes
1oz EKG 1 minutes
IBU's 34
wyeast 1968 yeast.
OG 1.056
FG(est) 1.016
mashed at 154. im going to dry hop with an oz of EKG, and fuggles to make the hops really stand out.

Looks great, and it will probably taste delicious too.
As for mash temp., I usually mash my bitters little lower- around 151F, 154 is on higher end but it is probably nitpicking.

I like to lightly dry hop my English ales to simulate cask conditions. From whay I understand, many brewers throw a small amount of leaf or plug hops into the cask as it is sealed.

I think an ounce of each is a bit heavy, but it's your beer!

On my 1.050 premium bitter (recipe sent to me from Otter Brewery in Devon), I dry hop with a blend of .75 oz of whatever I used for aroma (usually Willamette) and .25 oz of whatever I used for bittering.

ya the mash temp was kind of a shot in the dark, but if anything it will give it more mouthfeel, but i keep forgetting that an ESB is still a pale ale, and not a stout or porter which i normally mash a little warmer. as far as the dry hopping, ill just do 1oz of fuggles then, no need to go buy extra hops if i already have what i need. the sample i tasted was sweet, carmal/toffee, and toasty, so it should be good.

Back