Preboil sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_d

Reaction score
Is sanitizing before the boil even necessary? Things like what you hear your sparge water in, mash paddle, etc. doesn't the boil kill off any nasties, making preboil sanitization redundant?

it's a bit redundant, yea. I still tend to sanitize EVERYTHING before I even start a brew day, but that's just personal preference/paranoia. Also it doesn't add much time to my brew day so I figure "meh, why not"

Cheers

Yea me too. I usually set out some towels and just sanitize everything so it's ready.

Pre-boil, I just wash everything like a normal dish, or maybe a little less. I really don't care what is in things pre-boil. For example, I don't even attempt to sanitize my mash tun. The leftover grain from the last batch is surely a haven for bacteria, but again, who cares? Now, with utensils, I'd be more concerned I would forget and grab one that never went in the boil, and think it was clean enough for the fermentation process.

Although I am paranoid somewhat about cleaning, I truly believe all of the cleaning we do is way overkill. I don't worry about scratches in plastic, sealing the cooled wort after coming out of the kettle, covering beer while brewing and chilling, etc. I have had hose water drip in beer, bugs fly in beer, and bunch of other similar stuff. I've never had an infection, at least that I could notice.

i wash everything pre-boil in dish soap, and give it a really good rinse in hot water.

i sanitize everything that comes in contact with (or even near to) the beer once the boil has started.

i've also started keeping a jug of sanitizer mixed in water under the kitchen sink for "impromtu" use.

that came in handy yesterday when we used it occasionally to sanitize stuff that had come in contact with raw poultry, and such.

SWMBO likes that part.

I clean all my "pre-boil equipment" and sanitize everything that comes in contact with chilled wort.

Back