Plasti-Dip Mash Tun Lid Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I needed to waterproof my mash tun lid, and I couldn't think of anything to coat it with other than a lot of layers of latex paint. That is until I saw this stuff.
6533-DSCN1676.JPG

Well, I started my project by duct taping the heat carved Styrofoam that I attached to my 3/4" particle board lid top.
6533-lidtape.JPG

Next, I placed a dam around the lid rim with duct tape and painted away with the Plasti-Dip. And now a word about painting Styrofoam!!!! Styrofoam will melt if painted with anything it doesn't like. I have no idea what else doesn't like Styrofoam, but I assure you that it and Plasti-Dip are never a good thing, lol. Be sure you seal your Styrofoam completely with the duct tape or you will have holes to re-tape and redo later at best. At worst you could have a completely deflated, but waterproof lid. That being said here is what this thick stuff looks like after painting it on. I would recommend the spray for anything you can't dip for future projects.
6533-DSCN1677.JPG

After the Plasti-Dip was tacky I removed the dam of tape from around the rim of the lid and let it dry completely. The next day, this is what it looked like (notice the holes).
6533-DSCN1678.JPG

So, after re-taping and repainting the lid this is what it looked like.
6533-DSCN1698.JPG

Here is a real close up of the texture the tape made. Next time I might use latex and then cover with Plasti-Dip.
6533-DSCN1699.JPG

So, then I flipped it over and painted the top, leaving a hole for my future mash stirrer.
6533-DSCN1697.JPG

Pretty nice looking when it was all finished, and it works and cleans up great.

Here's how I have it insulated so far.
6533-MT.JPG

I am planning on insulating the bottom and then wrapping the insulation and Plasti-Dip the whole thing. I might Rhino-Liner it though. I am doing the HLT as well once the project is started.

With 20+ #'s of grain in there it holds within a few degrees right now, I can't wait to see how it handles insulated and sealed up better. I will definitely keep everyone up to par with a write up on the future project. I am checking Rhino-Lining as it will hold up longer and probably do a better job for this application.

I think it is ok after it cures/drys completely. It is horrible in its liquid form, very very bad. The only place it comes into contact with anything is condensing mash tun droplets. I wouldn't recommend it for anything touching food products, but covering them I think I will be ok.

orfy said:
I'll be watching this. I have 5 spare kegs.
I'd like to se a report on it's performane for holding temperature.

Can you send me one? :D

Ok, just a little update since I have been using the lids. I did two, one for each tun, and used different products. The first being this project and the second using different insulation and Plasti-Dip application. This lid seems to be perfect, except for the fact I tried to make the tape look good by placing it right alongside of the next strip. I recommend a large overlap of the tape on a rigid insulation with the Plasti-Dip "dip", not the spray. There is something completely different about how the spray applies to this project. It looked like it was coating great but the dip was a far superior finish. The newest lid used Reflectix insulation around the Styrofoam and then was taped. It is wrinkled like an old washer woman and still has its chemical smell, unlike this "dip-painted" project. I am only unhappy about the tape pieces starting to split apart due to my not overlapping more. I still think a good latex would be better for this sort of thing, but oh well it was fun.:rockin:

Back