DME IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhblake

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking to create a DME IPA Recipe and use up some ingredients that I have lying around. Let me know what you think or if you could suggest any improvments. I typically do allgrain but lately it's rough with two little ones, work and family, so i'm trying to create a recipe i can knock out in the evening so i'm not going to bed at 3am - 4 am.
5 gallon recipe

6lbs Amber DME - debatable
.5 Saaz @ 60 - Left over from previous recipe would like to use
.5 Chinook @ 60 - Left over from previous recipe would like to use
1 oz Citra @ 30 - debatable
1 oz Citra @ 5 - debatable
Pitch onto yeast cake of a 1.050 American Lite Ale - US-05

So i believe that should land me at around 80 - 90 IBU's i would determine whether to dry hop down the road after tasting. so questions i have are should i use 2 different type of DME maybe 3lbs amber and 3 lbs light for complexity? should are spread out the hops in a different time schedule? I have not used citra before but know that it can be both a wonderful taste and aroma. Any input or Criticism would be greatly appreciated.

maybe i should call this a pale ale rather than an IPA?

It would be hard to call 80-90 IBUs a pale ale. That's a hop bomb. I'm not sure what your IBUS are unless you are doing a full boil? You could try the calculator on tastybrew.com to change the recipe around. Personally I'd shoot for maybe 45-55 IBUS with only 6 lbs of extract. I also would move the 30 minute Citra addition later so you preserve some of its aromas.

need more late addition hops.

get rid of the 30 min. Honestly, i have been adding all of my flavor/aroma hop sat 0 minutes and doing a 20-30 minute hop stand at 180deg instead of adding at time points during the boil. So far I have had wonderful results with this method.

also dry hop with 2-4 oz of hops if you want an IPA

with the 60min additions, you can adjust to get your desired IBU's. I threw this into beercalculus and got 53IBUS, so im not quite sure where your 80-90 came from. But you can adjust to what you want by simply adding more at the 60min addition (which is why i really like only doing a 60min and 0min hop additions during the boil!)

So i would do:

.5 saaz .5 chinook 60min
2oz citra 0 min with 30minute hop stand at 180 degrees

dry hop 2-4 oz of your choice. galaxy/citra/amarillo/simcoe all work well together

Thank you guys, will do, i will do 60 min hop addition and later to 0 min hop addition. I will also try the 2 oz dry hopping. Thank you both your your responds

Back