Adding Blueberries to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
Please help me with how to add blueberries to the secondary. I have looked on alot of posts and cannot find a solid plan. Do i boil for 30 mins or 15 seconds, at 160 or 180? do i soad in stan san or vodka? do i just throw in? please help

Pick the one you are comfortable with and then when it's ready, drink one and try to figure out why there are as many opinions about how to add fruit as there are religions.

Just bottled my first irish blackberry blonde last weekend I froze 5 lbs of berries.. Mashed en up.. Added 2 cups of pre- boiled sterilized water..(your not going to boil em) Heated to 160 .. Put em in an ice bath to bring down to your fermenting temp.. Poured them into the secondary.. racked the beer on top of them..remember to leave a head space because it will have a second fermentation.. Also use a blow off tube cuz an airlock will probably get plugged.. Left mine in the secondary for two weeks.. The only problem that I had was racking in to the bottling bucket without picking up small chunks of berries and this created a problem with the bottling wand getting plugged. Next time I will try to put the berries in a muslin bag but I use glass carboys and this may prove difficult also. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Not sure what to tell you here. I'm using 5lbs of fresh picked strawberries in my secondary this Friday. I mixed them in a bowl of grain alcohol to sanitize and then froze them. Best I can do is let you know how this turns out in a week after this Friday.

I plan to rack to a "tertiary" fermenter to allow the strawberry goo to settle though. Not sure if blueberries would benefit from that.

You can also use a piece of crushed campden tablet mixed with boiling water, and allow them to soak for 24 hrs prior. This will kill any wild yeasts etc. I have done this for my fresh raspberries. You might see the fruit will be bleached, but don't worry, still fine. The sulfites in the tablet should evaporate during the 24 hour period. Put a piece of sanitized foil over it.

I did a double chocolate cherry stout where I used 4 pounds of frozen cherries and without any water (okay, maybe a splash or two so I could crank the burner without burning), covered it and I brought the whole thing to 170 degrees or so and held it there for about 5 or 10 minutes. I left it to cool naturally (covered!) for about an hour and then dumped them in my sanitized secondary bucket and then racked on top of them no matter the temperature; it wasn't that screaming hot anymore and maybe it killed some yeast, but surely not all. Mashing them up a bit more than I did while they were heating would have probably been a good idea to increase surface area and get more flavor. However, I think the blender is a bit overkill here. I also tried to not to heat them too hot or for too long to create too much pectin (the stuff that makes jelly, jelly) but I'm not sure how crucial this really is. I couldn't seem to find a solid answer before I said "the hell with it" and it came out just fine.

Oh and although starsan at proper dilution is pretty safe stuff, don't go sanitizing fruit with it. Personally, I would consider using alcohol if I couldn't use heat; I'm already going to be drinking alcohol, lets keep it that way. :cross:

If you blanched the fruit before you froze them, you could be fine. However, blueberries are one of the few fruits that you don't need to blanch to keep in the freezer.

i am gonna heat to 160 and hold for 15 mins with a tiny bit of water.... id used camden but i want it to be purple... my gf likes the idea of a purple beer haha.... thank you all so much for the comments and suggestions... if this dosent work i def have other options....

on a different note is the ferementation that will start up after racking to secondary on top of the blueberries violent or does it last long?

I can't say personally how long it will last but mine was not that violent. You are adding a fair amount of sugar though so be prepared to leave it for at least a week. I didn't take any hydrometer readings (dumb), sorry!

ill have to take gravity readings and post back.... how do you calculate ABV then i wonder.... do you take a reading before the blueberries are added... then after... then when its complete?.... interesting topic

siphoning from secondary was awful.... the blueberries clogged the siphon and i only would up with about 39 or 40 bottles..... i think i added a lot of oxygen while doing so..... it just sucjed

Oh. I thought you were going to say you got some sort of nasty infection, threw out the whole batch and had to burn your equipment. The fire department came and put it out before it was done burning so somehow now you still have an infection. Ten bottles shy? Could have been worse. You may next time want to overestimate your final volume of wort to account for any losses due to absorption by fruit additions. Although they've got a bit of water in them if you're using frozen berries you've pasteurized yourself, I have a feeling they still absorb some beer.

When I siphon, I slowly lower the siphon into the beer as the level goes down and start to tip the fermenter a little earlier than I need to so I'm always ahead of the liquid height inside the fermenter but gently, as not to stir anything up.

When I siphoned my last batch of wort to my fermenter after whirlpooling, it was a mess too. I was using flyguy's $3 siphon but I didn't get a good clamp on the middle hose so liquid was coming out of there and getting into my bucket right where my mouth just was, it was spraying all over the place (thankfully I was in the garage for this one) and getting all over my hands before going in the bucket too. I had to restart at least once or twice. It was a mess. But everything turned out fine, and I still made beer. We all have hiccups, it's what we take away from them that's important. You don't learn as much when everything goes smooth.

HaHA nice post

I def learned a lot on this one....

Next time I may just primary for one week then add the blueberries in a sanitized muslin bag for 2 weeks so it keeps it out of the siphon....

I think I overreacted but I'm def gonna use what I learned for future brews.... Thats what its all about

Latest posts

Back