American Pale Ale Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to dry hop.

"That's what she said." - Michael Scott

I only made 5 gallons, so I ended up with 1 oz. of Perle and 1.5 oz. of Cascade in the boil. I'm planning on dry hopping with the "leftover" half oz. of Cascade in an herb ball in the keg while it's carbbing up. I would normally dry hop in a secondary, but I "need" this ready in time for a ski trip in about 3.5 weeks, so I'm planning on combining the dry hopping and force carbing stages to save some time.

I ended up brewing a variation of this. I subbed some ingredients with stuff I already had on hand, so it might come out a little different. I had a lot of Belgian Pilsner malt, which I used in place of the two-row pale. I also used Caramunich I instead of Crystal 60.

The hopping schedule basically stayed the same, except I also added an ounce of centennials at flameout. I use centennials in a lot of my beers. Love 'em.

I ended up brewing a variation of this. I subbed some ingredients with stuff I already had on hand, so it might come out a little different. I had a lot of Belgian Pilsner malt, which I used in place of the two-row pale. I also used Caramunich I instead of Crystal 60.

The hopping schedule basically stayed the same, except I also added an ounce of centennials at flameout. I use centennials in a lot of my beers. Love 'em.

I racked this to the secondary last week. I added gelatin, but really didn't need it because the beer was super clean. It looks a bit lighter than SNPA, which I guess is due to the different malts that I used.

It also tasted a little different than SNPA. Again the malts used, along with the Centennials that I added at flameout, would cause that. Either way I'm not complaining because it tasted awesome! It was clean, dry, and hoppy...exactly how a pale ale should be IMO.

I'm kegging this in a few days and dry-hopping it with another ounce of Centennials. Based on the color of the sample you could consider this an "extra pale ale." But if it tastes as good carbed and chilled as the sample hinted at, I'm probably going to keep this as my house pale, keeping the malts that I used.

So the wife, cats and I went up to the mountain cabin for the week, and I brought the keg of this Nierra Sevada-ish brew. I let the cold mountain air cool it overnight, and just cracked her open today. Wow! What a beer! Everything a pale ale should be: crisp, hoppy and refreshing! The Belgian Pilsner malt gave it a flavor that I've never noticed from basic two row malt. I kind of like it.

The US-05 handled this beautifully. It is an excellent APA. Although I may try this again with Belgian yeast as an experiment.

Thank you, Biermuncher. Once again a recipe of yours (whether done exactly as is, or as insipration) has come through in spades!

6817-pale-ale.jpg

So the wife, cats and I went up to the mountain cabin for the week, and I brought the keg of this Nierra Sevada-ish brew. I let the cold mountain air cool it overnight, and just cracked her open today. Wow! What a beer! Everything a pale ale should be: crisp, hoppy and refreshing! The Belgian Pilsner malt gave it a flavor that I've never noticed from basic two row malt. I kind of like it.

The US-05 handled this beautifully. It is an excellent APA. Although I may try this again with Belgian yeast as an experiment.

Thank you, Biermuncher. Once again a recipe of yours (whether done exactly as is, or as insipration) has come through in spades!

6817-pale-ale.jpg

That beer looks right at home there. :mug:

This is by far the best clone recipe ever. I have brewed it a few times and have not been disappointed. Each batch I have upped the 2 row by a pound and a half and added an extra half oz of cascade at 2 min. After aging a couple months its darn near impossible to tell the difference between mine and the real thing. Most choose mine in a blind taste test :)

The most recent is fermenting is fermenting very slowly at 54 degrees. I will slowly bring it up to 70 by the end of the week. I upped everything by 30%. It should be awesome.

Once again thanx BierMuncher.

I will be brewing this as my first all grain with my new equipment. 10 gallon so I can break in my new fermentation chamber and eventually my corny kegs.

Will post when I get done

Brewing this tomorrow as my second BIAB (I've done a bunch of partials/extract). Added a pounds or so more 2 Row just to give the recipe a bit more weight according to Beersmith, but the basics as posted sound rock solid.

I'm looking forward to trying it, BierMuncher!

well my finished product was much darker and I got just under 10 gallons of end product.

I used standard 2row.

I may have to repitch as in my tiredness I made a rookie mistake and pitched my yeast too early.... I believe the temp was 78, I was measuring by the output of the wort chiller and not the temp of the wort, so when I brought it inside to split it.... the wort was still 100F, so 45 minutes later I split it and pitched it.

forgetting it was still 78F.

Well we will see what happens, else I will get some more cali ale and repitch.

ok, so I split a single white labs California yeast vial between two 5 gallon batches, and 20 hours ~ later I had two vigorous active fermentations underway.

I saved a bit of the original yeast from the vial and added some extra wort I got from the grains after I boiled it and cooled it. Talk about trub heh, I also saved enough wort from the runnings after I sparged. It was enough to fill four sanitized grolsch bottles and I have them in the fridge now.

I originally thought the color of the wort was much darker then what it was supposed to be, however from cold crashing the un-hopped and un pitched wort, I can tell it is just the sediment and trub from the pellet hops that is suspended in the liquid.

I do believe I will be making my bottom pickup tube on the side instead of the center bottom due to the trub and gunk that I saw in there after a boil... sheesh..

Needless to say I am curious to see how much really settles out.

Pics posted soon.

P.S. the sample tasted excellent.

Looking good, I split this between two 6 gal glass carboys... I know im in the process of switching to plastic, their damn heavy and dangerous.

The carboy that had about 3 1/2 - 4 gallons stopped today which is 8 days, the second which has been in the ferm chamber I built at a constant 60 then ramping to 64 over a week, is still bubbling, I am assuming it is attenuating along. I used the recommended yeast.

Should I just leave the one in the chamber going for another 9 days or should I rack it to a clean carboy to clarify for 9 days then crash cool it down to 38 and rack it into a corny keg and leave it for a week???

I brew a similar recipe to this, use two row and 60L. 1 Oz centennial @60, .5 centennial @10, cascade .5 0z flame out.

I brewed this up with wyeast american ale II and dry hopped with an ounce of cascade (I was drunk and just poured the whole pack in). It came out pretty awesome! The beer has been in the keg for almost 4 weeks and it never cleared, I guess because of the yeast strain. But its pretty freaking awesome.

Brewed 10 gallons of this the other day. Subbed US-04 yeast for that tad bit of malt.
Also tried my cleaning up my water for the first time, so I'm quiet excited to see the results.
Thanks for the recipe.

So with 14 pages of reviews thus far I figured we should give this one a shot. Went to my local brew store and bought my extract components, as well as dropping about 400.00 on kegging equipment. So its all you guys fault!! So this will be our first kegged beer. I will post pics of my Keezer soon but here is the extract recipe we went with.

Steeping Grains 45min steep
1/2lb Carapills
1/4lb Caramel Crystal Malt 60L

Malts
3.3 lbs Muntons Light Malt 70 minutes
3lbs Xlight DME 20 minutes

Hops
2oz Pearle 70min
1oz Cascade 15min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade 5min

Yeast
Wyeast 1056

OG 1.050

Yeast went crazy for about 4 days and has been quiet ever since, We have always used a secondary for 1-2 weeks but I am thinking I may move this straight to a Keg and force carb it on the 13th since it will have had just over 2 weeks to get its fermentation all done. :mug:

I will let you all know how it turns out.

Anyone use Nottingham? I have two packs in my fridge and hoping to brew this weekend and don't have time to get to lhbs....

jasert39 said:
Anyone use Nottingham? I have two packs in my fridge and hoping to brew this weekend and don't have time to get to lhbs....

I think notty would work fine.

Already kicked a keg. Fastest one yet. The US-04 really gave it a nice taste. Going to have to do this one again real soon.

Brewed this one yesterday. It was my first brew on my outside setup so I wasn't exactly intuned with my new system. I got 4.5 gallons in the fermenter so my ABV and IBU's are higher than I wanted but I’m excited to see how it turns out. It's bubbling away this morning. This was the first time I used a wort chiller and it dropped 100 degrees in 15 minutes. My SWMBO gave me the ok to invest in a kegging system. Hopefully this will be the first brew I keg. About to start EdWort's Haus Pale Ale now! Happy 4th!

Just have to say I have my first 10gal batch of this (brewed saturday). It is fermenting away nicely!!
Can not wait to drink this up (wort tasted amazing).
nierrasevadafermenting.jpg

Thanks for the wonderful recipe biermuncher!!
Neil

So here's my stove top, partial boil, extract, specialty grain recipe I made to match as close as possible BM's SNPA Clone:

~5.5 gallons
  • 6 lbs Briess DME Golden Light
  • 12 oz Weyermann Caramunich I
  • 8 oz Crystal 60L
  • 8 oz Crisp Cara-Pils/Dextrin
  • 1 oz Perle Hop Pellets (60 min boil)
  • 1 oz Magnum Hop Pellets (15 min boil)
  • 1 oz Cascade Hop Pellets (5 min boil)
  • 1 Whirfloc Tablet (15 min boil)
  • 2 tsp Yeast Energizer (Primary)
  • 2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary)
  • 11.5g SafaleUS-05 (Primary, rehydrated)
  • Spring Water (to 5.5 gallons)
  • 5 oz Corn Sugar (bottling)

Est. OG ~1.056
Est. FG ~ 1.015
~10 SRM
~39.5 IBU
~5.5%ABV

Let me know what you think.
Really excited to brew this.
Cheers. :mug:

After 36 hours patienly waiting I saw the airlock gurgling this morning on the Nierra Sevada batch. :ban:

Brewed this one up in a 5gal batch on Sunday afternoon, hit my numbers on the mark (1.046OG). So i'm happy I've got my procedure dialed in. This is my 5th AG batch and my 6th batch overall.

Pitched a pint of washed Notty yeast I had in the fridge w/o a starter. This is the first time I've tried a direct pitch of washed yeast without rejuvinating it with a starter. I was quite nervous about it monday when I got home from work and didn't see any fermintation happening yet. The fermentor is in my basement and was reading a temp of about 68 degrees, so I expected a slow start but not a 36 hour delayed start.

I plan on dry-hopping 1oz when I rack to secondary, so I dont have any trub in the keg when i rack. I think that will help with the clarity.

Looking forward to downing some pints of this one. Already have some "volunteers" to help with the taste testing.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll report back as we complete the various stages of this brew.

Chris Nalley

560946_4032924094949_1474889563_n.jpg

408274_4032927055023_1145148401_n.jpg

557544_4033267783541_1145135608_n.jpg

644663_4032928535060_50882132_n.jpg

I just mashed in. Although I used 4.5 pounds of marris otter and 3 pounds of two-row. I was really wanting to brew this weekend and went through my left over grains in the cabinet. I had 4.5 lbs mo, 2 lbs 2row, .5 carapils, .5 c60, and some chocolate malt. I was like...I think I brewed something like that before! I was like perfect...just had to pick up some perle.

Planning on using C-type for bittering and cascade for the rest still. Have a few questions for BM or someone else who has brewed this.

How about a 1/2# of munich to step up the maltiness?

Whats everyone's opinion on how much to dry hop?

Also which would you dry hop: c-type or cascade?

No need to dry hop this one. It is excellent without. I do recommend adding an extra half ounce of cascade at 5 min and upping the base malt by a pound.

tried out a bottle that was bottled 12/12/12, and oh my it is delightful.

Here is the aftermath of it paired with Fish and Chips. It is no coincidence that I'm the last one to leave the table.

Will be adding this brew to the rotation!

Thanks BM!

photo-3.jpg

Brewed as noted in original post, but threw in some US04 because I wanted some malt depth.

Can't wait!

I want to brew this later today.

I couldn't get Pearle, so am thinking of substituting with Northern Brewer - think that will be ok?

I also have some Columbus

I brewed this one up a couple of weeks ago and it's aging in bottles now. Here's my recipe:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 61

10.4# 2-row
9oz Carapils
9oz C60

1oz Perle @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 20
1oz Citra @ 10
1oz Cascade @ 5
1oz Cascade dry hop

So maybe I made it more of an IPA than anything...but I hit my projected gravity dead on and had 74% efficiency BIAB. Hydrometer samples were delicious and the color is nice and pale. About another week or two in bottles and she'll be delicious!

Back