My Barley Wine Learning Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneCerebralSamurai

Reaction score
Not sure this is the best place to put this, but I just threw together a fun video of my last Barley Wine attempt...

(I've noticed videos get chopped when posting here, so it's better to open a new window.)

Last edited by a moderator:
"What could possibly go wrong?"

I believe that's in the book of "Famous Last Words"... :eek: Right up there with "Isn't that cute?"

Did you have to mop the walls too, or just the floor? Would have been good to have some chalk outlines on the floor. lol

I do have to wonder if fermcap would have helped you to avoid the mess... :tank:

ive gotten in the process of just putting a blow off tube on all my brews for the 1st 4-5days then replacing it with an airlock, i would rather be safe then mop the walls and ceiling

NOOO!!!!

It was probably fine! Had the nice krausen to block out all the baddies!

Cue the Reverend...

Wow, quite the fermentation!

I would've just skimmed off the top, santized the lid & airlock, then put it back on.....but maybe that's just me.....

Nice video! I would have gave it a chance. You never really know until its bottled and aged how it will turn out!

It is my understanding that ancient Egyptians had open fermentation. The krausen became hard enough to protect the beer. They'd drink it by simply jabbing a straw down into the beer.

Personally I'd have re-sanitized the lid and lock, scraped the cap off the krausen and sealed it. If tasted bad at racking, then toss it. Otherwise, it's not really a poor time investment to find out.

I've only had to scrape my beer off the ceiling once. I didn't use a bucket, it was a 6 gallon carboy. Goo was still oozing out the neck when I got home. I kept it, and it turned out as planned. Which was awesome. As planned = awesome.

fargo234 said:
It is my understanding that ancient Egyptians had open fermentation. The krausen became hard enough to protect the beer. They'd drink it by simply jabbing a straw down into the beer.

Personally I'd have re-sanitized the lid and lock, scraped the cap off the krausen and sealed it. If tasted bad at racking, then toss it. Otherwise, it's not really a poor time investment to find out.

I've only had to scrape my beer off the ceiling once. I didn't use a bucket, it was a 6 gallon carboy. Goo was still oozing out the neck when I got home. I kept it, and it turned out as planned. Which was awesome. As planned = awesome.

Lots of commercial breweries do open fermentation. Especially in Germany and Belgium. Was just reading how SN wanted to make a legit weizen so they installed open tanks. And they do other beers in them too. Thing is, the rooms that they are in a super clean. It's not like your dirty basement.

I laughed, I cried. What a gut-wrenching production. But at least you cleaned your floors.

Funny, I had a similar experience: my first and only barleywine exploded and did a Vesuvius for 8 hours. Lost about a third of it to the blowoff. Word to the wise: don't oxygenate your barleywine wort if you're pitching onto a yeast cake.

[btw, what is it about violins. Is there any instrument more human? ]

I recently had the same thing happen with a moderate gravity IPA. I almost threw it out, but then I thought to myself, "It doesn't cost me anything to rack it to the secondary and wait to see if it is infected." Turns out it wasn't, drank some last night. I'm glad I had the patience.

My wife's 1.042 summer ale clone blew the lid off,tried to launch the blow off tube,blew krausen like Mt St Helen's. We refused to give up! It now has an airlock,& is slowly finishing up. My Burton ale was a 1.065,& it didn't do any of that with 28g of re-hydrated yeast pitched.

Back