Refrigerating beer then warming it back up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stdwdh16

Reaction score
Hey all. I finished bottling my second batch a couple weeks ago and preparing for a party I foolishly put 12 in the fridge and a few more for my enjoyment. Well I cracked one open to find very little head, much to my disappointment. The beer seems well carbed, but I only get a thin layer of tight bubbles that dissipate quickly. Would it hurt the flavor of my beer to remove it from the fridge and allow it to sit another week or so at room temp or should I just live with the thin head?

Temp fluctuation will make beer stale much faster, I'd say just deal with the poor head. I have head retention problems pretty often myself so I am interested in what other people chime in with :)

Poor head is better than none... If you say it is well-carbonated then the cause is most likely from not enough head retention grains, or that somewhere soap is getting involved and eliminating the head. Or it could be something completely different.

Its definitely not soap from the glasses. Its happened with three bottles, but my first batch has great head and good retention. I am betting this is from not enough head retention grains (none). This was an all extract batch with a can and a couple more pounds of fresh LME. My first batch was a combination of LME and DME. I know grains help, but does DME have anything advantage in terms of head retention over LME?

That I don't know. I'd imagine not considering the main difference is dehydration.

But anyway, a little bit of crystal in almost every batch goes a long way for solid head retention. It's hard to complain about too much head.

Back