Blending with vingear and lactic acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
Anybody experiment with blending a plain brown ale with vinegar and lactic acid to "doctor up" a flemish brown? If so, what did you think of the resulting beer? What kind of vinegar would be best to use?

I haven't, but google "The Mad Fermenationist", I think he did an article on it a while back. I think he posts on here from time to time as well.

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2009/04/brewing-sour-beer-with-acid.html

Yeah, it turned out pretty well, but I was adding acid to a beer that was already slightly tart and funky. You can certainly give it a shot, something like sherry or balsamic vinegar would probably be best since it has some similar flavors to a dark sour beer. The lactic acid I have is pretty buttery, active yeast might clean it up if it bothers you.

Thanks! I've got some AHS Flanders Brown bottle conditioning and some balsamic as well so I can experiment with combining them in the glass and see how it turns out.

I love your blog by the way, it's a really awesome resource and I've been reading a lot of it lately. Thanks for posting your experiences online!

Back