Is it ok to mash today and do the rest tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I am pressed for time and want to get another batch in the works.

Has anyone had any problems with mashing on one day, chilling the wort and then boiling the next?

Well, I guess the boil will kill any critters that get started between mash out and boil. Oxidation might be a factor though.

John

I plan to collect the runnings in the boil kettle and then leave the boil kettle in the garage. It is 4 degrees in the garage.

Anyone else have any input?

I swear there was a thread last week on here where someone tried it and ended up with soured wort by the time they were ready to do it....and no amount of boiling would fix it.

On the other hand, uoi might want to consider this; mashing overnight.

Lots of folks do it successfully, including several folks on here, and the owners of my LHBS, and several folks on Basic Brewing Radio if I recall correctly. If you are using a cooler mashtun and wrap it in a sleeping bag and keep it in a warm place then there will be very little temp loss, and NO risk of souring.

A link from the web
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=30815

I made an Irish red ale once when I was really drunk,
and all I know is I woke up the next day and there was a full pot of wort outside ,apparently swmbo put the lit on it lol,
at first I was gonna throw it out ,then said hell I`m cookin this!
started with the boil ,chilled it pitched the yeast and by god it was some of the best beer I`ve ever made.
YMMV.

I think that you'll be just fine.

I haven't ever done it personally, but I know a couple of people that haven't had problems with it.

Thanks all. I have already mashed out and have no choice at this point. I have to be up at 3 in the morning. No time to mess with a full boil now.

We'll see how it turns out.

DSCN0318.JPG

DSCN0320.JPG

DSCN0322.JPG

DSCN0321.JPG

DSCN0323.JPG

You know your not a noob when you get 90+ efficiency every rip.

5 lbs. American 2-row info
4 lbs. Pilsner Malt info
1 lbs. White Wheat info
1 lbs. Vienna Malt info
1 oz. Magnum (Whole, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 20 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
Yeast : Danstar 3767 Nottingham info

Pulled 6.5 gallons off the mash for a pre-boil SG of 1.055. From now on I think I'll change the default mash efficiency in the calculator to 90 at least. I have never got under 90, even my first time. And I never change a thing.

I have always ran a continuous sparge. (Fly sparge)

I always mash in @ 153.
Stir every 15 minutes, let the bed settle for the last 15.
Clear my runnings.
Start my sparge arm when the water is 1" above the grain bed.
Every few minutes, I stir down 3 to 4" into the grain bed(this is with 10-12lbs of grain in a 10 gallon round igloo cooler, never disturb the last six inches and you will never have to clear your runnings again). I push the grain out towards the side of the cooler to keep the water from running around the grain. You know you have done it right when you have little bitty holes everywhere on the top the grain bed when the water level drops below.

Thats it. 90% or better every time.

Back