Dopplebock with ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, several days ago I posted a question about my liquid lager yeast and my AG dopplebock. I know I underpitched my yeast quite significantly, but I hoped that after a good bit of lag time (3-4 days) the yeast would take off. Well I saw some minor airlock activity (bubbles 2-3 times a minute), but then things just stopped......dead quiet in that carboy. I think my yeast wasn't viable enough to handle the brew. So my question is: Has anyone tried an ale yeast in a dopplebock? I have WL english ale yeast starter and I feel it's the only way to salvage that high gravity goodness (og 1.080). I've read about Sticke Altbier; that seems to be the closest thing to my dopplebock ingredients and uses an ale yeast. Any thoughts? Thanks

I've done an Oktoberfest with Kolsch yeast and it was OK. I fermented at 60 degrees and had to lager for about 2 months before it was any good. Still isn't as good as a prior one I made with lager yeast.

I would not advise using an English Ale yeast as there would likely be way too many esters and not enough attenuation for that style. With a 1080 beer you need it to attenuate well or else it will be too sweet.

If you don't come up with anything else, try some Belgian Abbey Ale yeast and go for a big, malty Dubbel.

Back