Wheat beer with a Lemon extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martini

Reaction score
I'm going to mix up a batch of wheat beer next, And I want it to have a lemon taste to it. Any I dea of how much lemon (and what kind) extract to add to the 5 gallons at the bottling stage?

Honestly, you might just be better off squeezing a slice of lemon into your beer when you pour it.

I'd be nervous about adding too much lemon to the full batch and then having an entire 5 gallons of beer you don't like the taste of.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Honestly, you might just be better off squeezing a slice of lemon into your beer when you pour it.

I'd be nervous about adding too much lemon to the full batch and then having an entire 5 gallons of beer you don't like the taste of.

-walker

word up. im no pro, but i would assume the most crisp and natural flavor would come from a fresh lemon when youre drinking.

If anything, I'd be inclined to maybe add a small amount of zest rather than use an extract (which have always struck me as nasty). A little lemon zest in the secondary might give you some aroma, and if you want more flavor add a slice to the rim of the glass.

I recently did an Belgian Saison PM Which has some wheat malt and the zest from two lemons in the boil. The flavor is outstanding IMHO and not really lemony, but rather citrussy.

the_bird said:
If anything, I'd be inclined to maybe add a small amount of zest rather than use an extract (which have always struck me as nasty). A little lemon zest in the secondary might give you some aroma, and if you want more flavor add a slice to the rim of the glass.

Did a wheat that called for the zest of 1 lemon added to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Turned out real well.

you can use lemos zumo or lemon extract, but it contains vodkay already, it has a lot of lemon flavor although1

Add Trulemon Crystalized juice to the priming solution. Takes 12 packets to equal 6TBSP. So you'd have to adjust it to taste.

Back