GlenChennai - Need feedback for peat smoked and oaked IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkpsych

Reaction score
This is my first IIPA, but brewing isn't fun if it's not ambitious. I'm going for refreshing like an IPA with pine and grapefruit etc., but better suited for grilled food and summer nights. Something that could be a palate cleanser for a cigar, incorporating subtle notes of oak and peat roasted malt so that people are forced to pay attention to each sip without being able to figure out why. I want this beer to make a case against scotch. It's a tall order - please tear apart my first crack at the recipe.

Fermentables:
6# NW extra light LME
3# Maris otter LME (Beer calculus only has LME, I'll use grain)
3# American two row
5 oz. Simpsons peated malt

60 minute 5 gallon boil

Hops (No idea how to hop an IPA):
60 minutes (start of boil) - 1 oz. of simcoe, 1 oz. chinook
15 minutes - 1 oz. simcoe, 1 oz. chinook
Flame out - 1 oz. Saaz
Dry hopping would be done with simcoe

Two packets of Fermentis US-05, 14 day fermentation with 1 oz. dark oak chips (sanitized with vodka or scotch).

Predicted OG:1.081/ FG: 1.018/ IBU 93.5/ ABV 8.4%

I know it needs a lot of work, most desperately in the hop scheduling department. Saaz at flameout is an attempt to add a bit more hop complexity, and 3% peat malt shouldn't dominate the beer. I thought about pacman, but would like to keep playing with US-05 after using it for a KBS clone.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track here, and thanks for any advice.

Oak from the 1 oz. of dark oak chips I will put in primary for 14 days.

It is on the low side for ABV, and I was thinking about 9# of NW LME, which would put OG at 1.101 and FG at 1.022. I would need to compensate with more hops if that was the case. What I am trying to avoid is mass yeast death and a high OG, which would necessitate HG yeast for bottling.

A little peat goes a long way - I personally cannot stand the flavor it imparts in a beer, its much more harsh and acrid - its a malt more for scotch and not for beer. If you are wanting an IPA with a nice smooth touch of smoke, I would recommend rauchmalt

Would weyerman's beechwood smoked two row work?

The thing is that this really would be a beer for scotch lovers, and I am going for just enough peatiness for a vague familiarity, but not enough to dominate the flavor or even really be identifiable.

Yes that is rauch malt. I would highly recommend going that route, but hey, homebrewing is all about experimentation. Try it with the peat-smoked malt, and if it's too much you know you can always try it with the rauch malt

I made a peat smoked IIPA last year that I really liked.
It was the top smoked beer at the NZ national homebrew competition . On the basis of that, a couple of comments:

1. Yes, peat smoked malt goes a long way. I used 500g in a 20L batch and while it didn't bury the hops the smoke was BIG in that beer.

2. Good choice with Chinook. Mine was hopped with 100% Chinook. As a general rule hops and smoke don't get along, but the rough, slightly "dirty" edge on Chinook works great with peat smoke. I'm not quite so sure about Saaz though, and would have real reservations about using much Simcoe anywhere near smoke. I just get the feeling that the smoke would enhance the "vomit-like" aroma that I sometimes get out of Simcoe. Personally I reckon the earthy herbaceous character of Fuggles is another one that goes well with smoke.

Happy brewing!

Back