Shiraz (From grapes) 1st batch ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaz3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am going to be making my first batch ever of anything and I have chosen Shriaz from the sryah grape. I have the standard 23 litre fermenting kit
(My Kit - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phaz3/sets/72157623273621610/ )

My biggest question is after Crushing the grapes & adding the sulfite and leaving for 24hrs before adding the yeast. will the sulfite have any effect on the yeast ie. kill it ???

I have been reading like a madman but its always good to ask questions.

If you have any tips for the first ime they are welcome also

Cheers !

The correct spelling is Shiraz. This is Syrah grown in Australia / New Zealand. The only reason it comes out a bit different from other Syrahs is because of the different climate. I don't believe you add sulfites until you want to stop fermentation.

From what I have read, most modern wine yeasts are highly sulfite resistant, and will work fine. If you were considering Malolactic fermentation, sulfites should not be used.

Actually you add sulfites to kill off any wild yeasts or bacteria that may be present before fermentation. After about 24 hours the sulfite levels are low enough due to dissipation that your pitched yeast will be just fine :p I don't always sulfite, depending on what I am making, but you do need to wait 24 hours after using it to pitch your yeast.

The easiest way to handle the skins is to use a mesh bag big enough to line the insides of your primary fermenter, that way you can plunge the skins regularly to extract colour but keep the skins seperate. Keep taking hydrometer readings and take the free run juice from the skins just before fermentation is finished, press the skins if you can for extra wine. Shiraz is usually put through malolactic, this is the time to do it and add oak if you want.
You need to leave in secondary for at least a few months, keep the vessel well topped up to reduce air contact.

Back