Russian Imperial Stout- Warning VIOLENT ferment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed up a Russian Imperial Stout 2 days ago and the ferment was slow to get going. Then it started to take off and I was content to just leave it, and check in on it periodically.

So I got home last night to a bunch of people at my house playing Halo. I joined in and played until 3am when I decided I needed to go to bed. I checked on the fermenter one last time before bed and I then realized that I had a situation on my hands. A very bad one. There was Krausen just starting to come up the airlock. The lid had swollen to the point that I was concerned it was going to possibly blow off the bucket. So, quickly thinking about my options I grabbed my bottling hose and filled a gallon jug with water. When I yanked the airlock out of the lid, krausen shot upward all over some clothing as the fermenter purged the extreme amount of CO2 built up.

I then crammed the tube into the grommet and stuck the other end in the jug. Feeling that the situation was under control I checked the temp. It had risen 5*F in 6 hours so I grabbed a block of ice and another fermenter and dropped in the ice, with the RIS fermenter following it. I HOPE like hell that this beer isn't so mean and nasty that the ferment temps will run rampant.

So with that said, A Warning to New or even Experienced Extract brewers: Brewing 1.080 extract brews will usually need a blowoff tube, not an airlock.!!!

I am a major noob, bit it seems like it's just too easy to use a blowoff tube to risk a major problem. Why not do it routinely for the first 4-7 days?

Anytime I get over 1060, I rig a blow off. Especially during the warmer months.

An RIS? Ya better believe it.
RIS_992.jpg

I always use a blow off tube. Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes not so much, but I will always use one anyway. Why not?

I am a major noob, bit it seems like it's just too easy to use a blowoff tube to risk a major problem. Why not do it routinely for the first 4-7 days?

Agreed - I use one every time - never a problem with a clogged airlock.

So I When I yanked the airlock out of the lid, krausen shot upward all over some clothing as the fermenter purged the extreme amount of CO2 built up.

Gotta say that this would have been something to see on Americas Funniest Home Videos:rockin:

A RIS is my next up, I just finished a Porter that started out at 1.074. Very similar effects. I had a blowoff tube into a 1 gal . That lasted for less than 24 hours! BM's small bucket makes more sense for these big beers.

See, this is why I put my 5 gallon brews in 6.5 gallon carboys...more room ;)

I love brewing with the 6.5 but I've had two hefe's with white labs wlp300 that have managed to top that and required a blow off. Use them now all the time now.

Side note: I've heard that they're not making the 6.5gal carboys anymore, anybody know anything about that?

I heard the place in Mexico that made them stopped. You can still get them some places, however they are running 45 or 50 on ebay.

I have 5 Gallons of tripel in a 6.5G carboy pitched on a yeastcake. Yeah, Its been blowing off quite a bit of yeast and krausen. I added 2lbs of sugar and a little water today, started spewing again almost immediately.

This is probably the most vigorous fermentation I have had, probably because I am trying to keep the temp around 68 or 70 and warm it up in a couple more days once it slows again.

like most others have said, its a lot easier to put the tube in than to clean up a mess.

Side note: I've heard that they're not making the 6.5gal carboys anymore, anybody know anything about that?

Yes, The mexican company that was making them has ceased production. They are available from a company in Italy now that re-tooled to start or up their production... can't remember which. They are available online but they are more expensive now. I have a line on 2 or 3 of them from a buddy of mine that got into wine making a few years back and now doesn't use them anymore. I think I'll go pick them up cheap and have my brewing setup pretty much complete.

This place has them. http://stores.hausofhomebrew.com/-strse-116/6.5-Gallon-Glass-Carboy/Detail.bok

This place = :drool:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/sha...2=347571969&CategoryID=26&Target=products.asp

thanks for the info, wasn't quite in the market for another primary but may pick one up just to have and keep all my primaries as 6.5 gals

That's udder BS that we have to rely on another country to produce these things when we can make them here in the US. :mad:

Just a point of clarification... Milk usually comes from the udder. :D

Also, can you imagine how much one of those puppies would cost if made in America? I am sure OSHA and the unions would have enough safety and regulatory controls in place to price them out of the market. We live in too big a nanny state for anything as dangerous as glass to be handled by our fragile citizens.

How much wort and how hot was it when you put in the ice? How many pounds of ice and what was the temp after?

Waddaya mean you were at the end of a 3am Halo marathon and didn't check all that? :cross:

It was 5.5ish gals of wort and the temp was up to 74* on the outside of the bucket. I threw in a good 5lb block of ice about 9x9" square and 3" thick in a bucket and dropped the fermenter inside the other bucket.

I use a blowoff tube for most everything now whether I need it or not. I had the same experience with 2 brews in a row (and one of them was a mead) I too got the geyser that sprayed the closet and clothes too. (Smells great!) But makes quite the mess...

BoT FTW!
-Me

Back