Priming Sugar vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, and only received two responses, so I thought I'd try again here.

I've heard/read arguments for using both priming sugar and DME when bottling. With three batches in secondary right now, one to be bottled (hopefully) tomorrow, just curious what everyone here prefers.

Corn sugar. faster, you need less. enough said. although I do like DME for longer aging

DME takes much longer to carbonate. You can't use DME to carbonate a beer that has a higher final gravity. It simply will not carbonate.

I bottled a stout with a 1.021 FG with DME and it came out awesome - it did take a while to carb though.

DME takes much longer to carbonate. You can't use DME to carbonate a beer that has a higher final gravity. It simply will not carbonate.

I'm glad you said that. I have a high gravity Saison that I was thinking about using DME on.

I guess that I will stick with sugar.

Latest posts

Back