De Proef Demon Fish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
Proef Flemish Primative Wild Ale (Demon Fish)

Huge pure white, fluffy head that is not going away. Clumpy thick lacing.

Hazy, golden straw in color.

Funky, malty aroma. Maybe a touch of sweet honey in the end. Not unpleasant but funky.

Low carbonation. Funkiness carries over to the flavor. A bit sour. Barnyard or horseblanket is the best description I can come up with. If this is what a belgian pale is supposed to taste like count me out. Almost a rotten taste. I'm pouring this out.

Overall impression is that this beer is not for me. Aroma is acceptable but the flavor is just nasty to me.

25/50

I have a bottle of Spoonwhacker that's been aging. I think it's a 2006. Now you have me worried, haha.

But no, that's not what your typical belgian pale should taste like. To style would be fermented with a Saccharomyces yeast rather than spontaneous, which is what the primitive wild ale is.

Go pick up an Orval and see if you like that. It has a regular fermentation and then is spiked with Brettanomyces. Perfect combination, imo.

Back